Topic: New to forum, new car

SlmLrd    -- 07-17-2016 @ 12:20 PM
  Hi everyone, my name is Rich and I recently picked up a 1940 Mercury eight with 44k original miles. Had been sitting since at LEAST 1971(which was the last registry on the service slip.

I had the car shipped to me from florida and was amazed at the condition. All original everything, and everything works. Interior is in excellent shape and the flathead runs like a champ. The previous owner had installed a new 8v battery and had it hooked up with a negative ground, but everything worked fine still?

There is a early ford V8 sticker in the window, thats what lead me here.

All of the electrical works and I looked at the diagram because while I have brake lights, I have no tail lights, license plate light or trunk light (all on the same circuit)

I traced the wires back to the switch... The switch is powered, and all circuits seem fine with my test light.

The dimmer knob and the rear lights come off the same connection from the switch and the dimmer works fine.

I am trying to make sure the connectors off the pigtail are secure, but its so tight under there I would like to pull the switch and check... Leading me to the challenge. I cannot remove the headlight switch to save my life. I tried the all the way in, counter clockwise 1/4 turn, looked for the pin hole in the back of the box, but couldn't find one. Am I missing something here? Anyone have a "trick"?

Thank you, I hope to be active here and hopefully find the history of the car if it has been registered here.

:) Rich

TomO    -- 07-17-2016 @ 1:01 PM
  Hi Rich,

Welcome to the Forum. I also have a 40 Mercury. Mine is the Sedan Coupe.

Your problem with the tail lights is probably the switch. To remove the switch, turn the lights off and turn the knob 1/4 turn and pull out, then yo can remove the nut that holds the switch to the instrument panel.

Before you do that, try operating the switch about 100 times, it may clean the contact and your lights will work.

I suggest that you switch back to a 6 volt battery and cables. I would also go back to POS ground as the Ford coil is designed to operate with POS ground.

Tom

SlmLrd    -- 07-17-2016 @ 5:14 PM
  Thank you very much!
I already put in a 6v and connected to positive ground. I'll try the light switch and keep you posted.

SlmLrd    -- 07-17-2016 @ 11:19 PM
  Also, as I said. The power that goes to the dimmer works fine and it's off the same lead as the tail lights, license plate light.

If the dimmer is getting power, then the tail lights should be getting power from the switch as well, yeah?

TomO    -- 07-18-2016 @ 7:48 AM
  I am sorry that I missed that part of your trouble description. I thought that you meant the dimmer switch on the floor, which only has the head lights to it, and you meant the dash light dimmer.

The tail lights are in the body harness, which connects with the headlight harness. The headlight harness connects with the dash harness under the kidney shaped cover on the engine side of the firewall. Check the connections there and down by the frame.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=9891