Topic: 1948 Mercury Eight

jls7580    -- 07-07-2016 @ 5:12 PM
  I recently purchased a 1948 Mercury Eight 4 door and wanted to know if these cars are being sought after. I am thinking of listing it for sale online but have no idea how to set a price on it or if it will sell. It runs and drives nice. I bought it from the second owner who purchased it in 1959 from a local Ford dealer so he gave me the '59 title as well as the paperwork from the dealer showing he paid $200 for the car back then. Any advice on the car would be helpful as I don't know anything about them.

TomO    -- 07-09-2016 @ 8:57 AM
  The demand for the 48 Mercury is similar to the demand for the Ford sedan. I would try the public library for price ranges. Most of them can obtain the price guides for antique cars.

The outside of your Mercury shows significant paint failure. Some people like that while it will turn others off.

Tom

CharlieStephens    -- 07-09-2016 @ 10:33 AM
  Just to start PLEASE put your general location in your profile. If you live in Los Angeles I would suggest you go to the Barnes and Noble in Marina del Rey for a copy of "The Old Cars Price Guide" for a first cut as to what the car is worth. If you live in Florida that suggestion will probably not do you much good. If you live in Maine post that and may someone can recommend local sources. The easy way might be to google the name of the magazine and contact the publisher. These publications should only be used as a rough cut at the pricing. Researching asking and selling prices is the best source.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 7-9-16 @ 6:16 PM

jls7580    -- 07-11-2016 @ 7:33 AM
  Tom
Thanks for the reply. I will try the local library and see if I can find a price guide. I appreciate the help.

jls7580    -- 07-11-2016 @ 7:35 AM
  Charlie,
I am located about 60 miles east of Chicago, IL in northern Indiana. I am going to try the library and see what I can find there. I appreciate the help.

TomO    -- 07-15-2016 @ 7:11 AM
  You might want to contact the Northwest Indiana Regional Group for additional help in selling the car.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=9855