Topic: Steering column ignition and steering lock

Chascwell2    -- 03-22-2016 @ 11:57 AM
  I have a 1940 Mercury and need information or a source of information about the function of the 3 pieces under the steering wheel that lock the ignition and steering wheel. The key lock cyl is understandable, there is a pin that screws into the left side of the bulb under the wheel, I have that piece, there is something that slides down into a cylinder under the steering wheel. This part is only accessible with the steering wheel removed.
What is the part number? and does anyone have an idea what it looks like and how it works?

chascwell

TomO    -- 03-23-2016 @ 6:53 AM
  A spring and a lock ball fit in the hole under the steering wheel. When the ignition is locked the spring pushes the ball up against the steering wheel. The wheel has a recess that will allow the ball to lock the wheel.

The spring P/N is B-3741 and the ball is 353080-s. These parts are the same for Fords.

Tom

Chascwell2    -- 03-27-2016 @ 10:54 AM
  I have ordered the parts and complete the installation next week. Thank you

chascwell

Chascwell2    -- 03-30-2016 @ 11:59 AM
  Here I am again. I ordered the parts you suggested, it is a small spring and a small steel ball,about 1/8 inch diameter. These parts fit into the end of a screw that is inserted into the left side of the collar on the left side below the steering wheel.

When the steering wheel is removed, there is a hole about 3/4 inch in diameter just to the right of the steering shaft. Looking down the hole, I can see the end of the key lock cylinder. I am still searching for the part that connects these things together.

Do you have that information of a diagram?

chascwell

TomO    -- 04-02-2016 @ 7:28 AM

I do not have a diagram or photo of that area of the steering column. I did not have to change that on my car, so I am not exactly sure of how it is done.

I will look at my car today and see if I can give you a better guess, but I believe that the lock cylinder must be removed to install the parts.

Tom

TomO    -- 04-06-2016 @ 6:54 AM
  I am still trying to get out to the garage, but my wife keeps thinking of other ways to keep me busy.

Tom

TomO    -- 04-06-2016 @ 6:15 PM
  I took a look at my car and I think that the screw coming in from the left of the column is for the ignition switch.

There are 2 break off pins under the lock cylinder, one of them could be for the steering wheel lock. I did not want to pull my steering wheel to check. You may still have to pull the lock cylinder in order to install the steering wheel lock.

The parts catalog lists a plug P/N "09A 3691 steering and ignition lock interlock spring" but does not show this on the drawings. This may be one of the pins that I saw under the lock cylinder.

The 3/4" hole that you describe seems rather large to me. I remember it as being about 1/4". Could you post some photos of the column and the back of the wheel?

Tom

Chascwell2    -- 04-07-2016 @ 3:31 PM
  I think now you may understand my delima. There is an old guy over in Niles California who seems to have a big knowledge of things and a huge inventory of used parts for antique cars. I think I will drive over there , pull the steering wheel and let him have a look. I have searched Ford- Mercury parts books from the era and while I can find parts numbers I cannot find an exploded view. Let's keep talking.

chascwell

TomO    -- 04-08-2016 @ 7:59 AM
  You can also try contacting Dan Krehbiel, the 39-41 Mercury adviser.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=9504