Topic: Some pictures needed

Superdave    -- 02-20-2016 @ 12:34 PM
  I am trying to re-assemble a 39 Sport Convertible. Nearly every small part is missing. I need some pictures of how things are routed and mounted under the hood. Firewall especially. Some hints as to what Ford brake hoses etc. are the same. Looks like I am missing some brackets to retain the front brake hoses to the frame. Also the front floor board "Toe Board"is gone...the part the dimmer switch is located on.... What color should the dash knobs be? also the lower radiator hoses look like they will not clear the Panhard bar..?? But radiator fits perfectly otherwise.

Help!!
Thanks Dave

TomO    -- 02-21-2016 @ 6:38 AM
  Dave,

From your terminology, it sound like you are not in the USA. Is your car a right hand drive model? My answers are for a left hand drive car.

The Ford and Mercury used the same rubber brake hoses at all 3 positions. The brackets to hold the hoses to the frame are the same as Ford.

Dennis Carpenter used to reproduce the wooden floor board and may still have some.

You may have to trim the lower hoses so that they will clear the stabilizer bar. I trimmed the end that fits on the radiator 1/16" to get the clearance on one hose, the other fit nicely.

Tom

Superdave    -- 02-27-2016 @ 3:55 AM
  I'm in Melbourne........Florida! Left hand drive.LOL. I just worked on a 39 Ford that had to have the lower hoses trimmed to fit but it didn't have the stabilizer bar.
I bought the choke and throttle rods from mac's. The choke fits fine, but the throttle rod is way too short.?? They are both the same length..
With some help from the Ford Barn and eBay I have been able to get most of the parts and figure out how to and where to mount them. Remaining is the dash board. The instrument cluster is there *Thank goodness) But nothing else. A picture if a dashboard would be some help in locating where the various switches go.
Thanks for the reply!
Dave

TomO    -- 02-27-2016 @ 6:43 AM
  I may have some better photos at home, but here is a link to the 39 sales brochure.

http://www.oldcarbrochures.org/NA/Mercury/1939-Mercury/1939-Mercury-Foldout/1939-Mercury-Foldout-04

Tom

Superdave    -- 02-27-2016 @ 11:24 AM
  thanks Tom,
Now to identify some stuff.. I know I am missing the glove box door and the two rectangular panels on each side of the speaker.. Ash trays? On a 39 ford, the hand throttle and choke knobs are there.The two rectangular plastic knobs to the right at the bottom.. Choke and throttle? Also the headlight switch is in the proper position to be off? As you can see.. I know very little about these cars.
Thanks again. dave

TomO    -- 02-28-2016 @ 7:38 AM
  Dave, your assumptions are all correct.

I was hoping that Fordmerc would chime in with some photos. He has restored a very nice 39 Merc and should have some photos the will help you.

Tom

fordmerc    -- 03-05-2016 @ 4:38 AM
  My "original" photos of the dash are prints; I will copy them and then send "old" and "restored" images.

fordmerc    -- 03-06-2016 @ 9:35 AM
  Images of back of dash before restoration
Image of dash after restoration
The light switch is not properly installed (90 degrees off)
The ignition switch knob may not be original
The lighter is not in place (beside the glove box)
-----looks like I can attach only one at a time - others to follow - I have more

fordmerc    -- 03-06-2016 @ 9:36 AM
  more

fordmerc    -- 03-06-2016 @ 9:37 AM
  last for today

Superdave    -- 03-06-2016 @ 10:39 AM
  Thank you VERY VERY MUCH! Many questions answered in a few pics!! Now back to work...

Superdave    -- 03-08-2016 @ 5:11 AM
  I still have a problem solving the hand throttle rod mounting. I see where it attaches to the carb, but it doesn't come near long enough to connect on the dashboard. I must have the wrong rod assembly. it is identical to the choke, but looks like it's way too short.
Thanks for the help. Looks like I will be doing a "starting" attempt by weeks end. Still need to run new fuel line and mount the new fuel tank.

TomO    -- 03-08-2016 @ 8:00 AM
  The 39 Mercury choke and throttle cables were different than the Ford. Both cables are longer than Ford. I don't have the measurements for the 39 Mercury, but I would guess that the choke would be about 35" and the throttle about 38".

I would check some of the recyclers that advertise in Hemmings to see if any of them have the cables available. I would also check with vendors like Lowell Kimble 402-649-1116 and Mike Dennis at Nebraska Ford Parts 402-489-3036 and Paul Rutkowski 859-661-1932 American Parts

A want ad in the classified section of this site could also produce results.

Tom

fordmerc    -- 03-09-2016 @ 7:44 AM
  My solution was to purchase similar cables at the local Advance Auto Parts store. this cable was shortened to an appropriate length. The proper spring loaded connector was welded?brazed to the end . I had a correct knob for the interior, so I removed the Advance knob and attached the correct plastic one simply by heating the metal end of the cable and embedding it into the new one. Appearance is identical to original. Hopefully the originals didn't have a Ford logo somewhere on them.

Superdave    -- 03-11-2016 @ 6:19 PM
  I found my problem with the hose clearance. Someone brazed the arm mount and added about 3/4 inch of nut and washer which moved the bar forward almost an inch!. must have used the wrong mount and thought it was going to work loose, so brazed the whole mess. I managed to grind off all the braze and installed a good used mounting pin and the problem was solved. (after about 4 hours!) The front spring is sagging a bit..that doesn't help either.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=9399