Topic: Carpet Inserts

bo8109b    -- 01-15-2016 @ 9:59 AM
  Considering carpet inserts in my '48 convertible rubber floor mat. What's the procedure for installation and how do driver and passenger sides vary in size and location?

len47merc    -- 01-15-2016 @ 2:36 PM
  While I cannot speak with confidence to the exact dimensions of the carpet on the rubber floor mat for a '48, nor whether a variance exists for a '48 convertible, should you, after researching and confirming the consistency, wish to have the dimensions from an original pre-April '47 Mercury 79M floor mat let me know and I will be glad to provide pics and dimensions. My initial assumption is the '46s-'48s would all be the same, but my assumptions almost have gotten me in trouble before regarding preservation of originality.

Let me know and I am glad to help if you or others more conversant in the '48s deem it appropriate. My '47 and the '46s I've personally reviewed are on the money consistent. My '47s original floor mat has not been removed and is being maintained/preserved in its original location for fear of further cracking/degradation.

Steve

bo8109b    -- 01-17-2016 @ 12:39 PM
  Steve, Is the floor mat in your '47 a black color? Do the carpet inserts have square corners or some kind of radius? How far back is the front edge of the driver's side insert compared with the passenger side which I see in one of your previous pictures? Thanks, Carl

len47merc    -- 01-17-2016 @ 2:02 PM
  Carl - yes, the vinyl/rubber of the original floor mat is black. This original floor mat's carpet inserts are a dark beige/brown color that matches the original carpet. The corners of the inserts have a radius/are rounded. From the back of the floor mat under the front seat to the edge of the carpet insert is 6 1/2" (pic to follow) for both the driver and passenger sides. From the edge of the mat near each door to the edge of the carpet insert is ~2 3/4". The passenger side insert is `15 1/2" front-to-back and ~16 1/2" side-to-side at the back nearest the seat and ~15" side-to-side at the front edge (it is not square). The driver's side insert is ~10" front-to-back and 16 1/2" side-to-side near the seat and ~16" side-to-side on the pedal side of the insert (it also is not square). The distance from the rear edge of the mat and the side edge is the same for the driver's side as the passenger side.

EDIT - Basically the outer sides of the inserts angle in toward the center of the car, following the same angles as the door and kick panels, and the inner edges are parallel.

As you can see from the following photos the original mats have embossed areas and borders for the inserts to fit in and to border the inserts, respectively.

EDIT: I have tried several times to attach pics to this post and a couple of others for you on this but continue to get a '500 - internal server error' notification from EFV8 when a pic is attached - never had this problem before. I will try again later to give you some defining pics.

Hope this helps -

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 1-17-16 @ 2:19 PM

TomO    -- 01-18-2016 @ 7:44 AM
  Steve, try re-sizing your photos to 1024 pixels wide.

Tom

len47merc    -- 01-18-2016 @ 9:12 AM
  Thanks Tom. The pics were and are resized to 1024 but the site still will not accept them.

Steve

len47merc    -- 01-18-2016 @ 11:21 AM
  Thanks Tom. The pics were and are resized to 1024 but the site still will not accept them.

Steve

len47merc    -- 01-18-2016 @ 1:01 PM
  '47 Front mat passenger side carpet insert.

Steve

len47merc    -- 01-18-2016 @ 1:03 PM
  '47 Merc floor mat carpet insert rear offset.

Steve

len47merc    -- 01-18-2016 @ 1:05 PM
  '47 Merc floor mat carpet inset side offset. Picture is a bit of an optical illusion - the offset is ~ 2 3/4".

Steve

len47merc    -- 01-18-2016 @ 1:08 PM
  Tom/all - the problem with posting the pics, found through further trial and error, was that my excessively descriptive file names were too long. Truncating them to what you see here allowed them to be posted.

Never had this prob before - have always reduced to 1024 before posting but never knew there was a file name length limitation until now.

Hope the pics help bo8109b -

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 1-18-16 @ 1:10 PM

bo8109b    -- 01-18-2016 @ 6:01 PM
  Thanks Steve, You have been a tremendous help. Will post the outcome of my efforts a little later. Carl

TomO    -- 01-19-2016 @ 7:22 AM
  I am glad that you solved your problem and could post the photos. I naturally keep my file names short, so I never had the problem.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=9299