Topic: Thanks cliftford & TomO

len47merc    -- 01-08-2016 @ 11:53 AM
  Thanks to you both for your help on the door handle & horn ring. Have both back in place now - new driver's handle & silicone'd, non-vibrating horn button and learned a lot in the process. These areas sound simple but both could end up costing a lot in the long run if you've not been here before and aren't patient. Really appreciate both your help here - kept me from breaking and/or scr*w*ng-up something original and as well saved me $$$'s.

Here's a pic of the completed handle replacement - you can see how bugger'd-up the original handle was from the top (all the other 3 are in equitable shape to the new one being installed). The underside near the end/front of the car is much worse and is beginning to come 'un-crimped' so both aesthetically (it was in my eye) and functionally (starting to scratch the hand) it was past time to get this done. It took both your advice as well as some good old northern-midwest/southern ingenuity to disassemble/reassemble but in the end got'er done with a new handle that matches the other 3 exactly. Wish I didn't have to swap out parts and could have had a 'new' (used) escutcheon trim piece as well that fit and wasn't ever-so-slightly cracked at the sides of the base of the tongue from whatever caused the damage to the handle decades ago but had spent the money already and the handle was the main issue anyway.

Can't thank you guys enough for your support - really appreciate it. Cheers!

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 1-8-16 @ 11:59 AM

len47merc    -- 01-08-2016 @ 11:54 AM
  Here's a pic of the bottom side of the handles. Looks like the original handle was bent badly some time ago and someone plier'd it to straighten it back as much as they could

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 1-8-16 @ 12:56 PM

len47merc    -- 01-08-2016 @ 11:56 AM
  And a close-up of the peening-job preservation to hold the whole assembly together. Btw - that's white lithium grease you see on the spring inside the cap washers.

Steve

len47merc    -- 01-08-2016 @ 12:41 PM
  ...and looking much better now.

Btw - have left the body as it was since obtaining the car and likely will stay this way for my ownership. Door-to-door trim line-up imperfection on these two doors (pic definitely exaggerates it) I believe was caused by whatever caused the original damage to the driver's door handle (or perhaps it was always this way). Trim lines up at the front of the driver's door body trim and the back door is straight with the rear quarter body trim. Driver's door seals well, and vertical gap is consistent between the doors, so, maybe one day...

Thanks again guys -

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 1-8-16 @ 1:01 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=9284