Topic: 1946 Mercury 2 door

Dobie    -- 12-08-2015 @ 6:23 PM
  Need a little help identifying this 2 door. It has a data plate on the fire wall with the following;
Engine CD 398
Trim Mi6810T
Paint M 1724
Code 146H10799
The engine number is on the transmission too. This is a full size Merc with everything correct for late '46
Any ideas appreciated as to where it came from?

TomO    -- 12-10-2015 @ 8:02 AM
  I don't understand what you want.

There is no way to trace the history of cars in the US since the privacy laws in the late part of the last century were passed. If the car is not in the US, we would need the serial number in order to take a guess about where it was manufactured.

Please ask specific questions that you would like answered and we may be able to help you.

Tom

Dobie    -- 12-10-2015 @ 8:40 PM
  The car was in Minnesota and now is in Wisconsin. The numbers given were on the data plate on the firewall and the CD398 is on the transmission where the normal serial number would be on Mercury. Where was this car manufactured, Canada?

TomO    -- 12-11-2015 @ 8:31 AM
  It could have been made in Canada. There is not much info on the Canadian manufactured Mercury 118 and I only found 1 photo online for a 46. It looks just like the US made 46 Mercury. There is quite a bit more info on the Mercury 114 and the Meteor.

The engines made in Canada had a C cast in the bell housing (example: C59, C69 , C79).

The cars look like they have all of the same trim as the US cars, with the grille surround painted in 46 and early 47, the late 47 and 48 cats used the chrome surround as seen in your photo.

I could not find any reference to engine numbers specific to Canadian cars or the use and decoding of data plates. I did find a reference that said Canadian Cars had a patent plate with Canadian patents on it and the logo said "Ford Motor Company of Canada"

I hope that this helps you.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=9201