Topic: 1946 Mercury speedometer

Peder D    -- 10-31-2015 @ 7:16 AM
  Hi guys! No news yet on the previous issues. But, yet another problem has arisen...had my speedometer checked by a reliable shop. Had ceased to show correct speed and the odometer mechanism was "shot".Everything inside is worn out, and no parts available in this country. Was advised to find/buy another speedometer in good condition or one that could be used as parts...is there anyone out there with a "load" of 1946 Mercury speedometers for sale? Mine has the brownish color and red numbers. A long shot, I know...thanks Peder

TomO    -- 10-31-2015 @ 8:51 AM
  Hi Peder,

Try Baxter Ford Parts for a speedometer. Mercury speedometers are harder to find than the Ford ones, but the faces are interchangeable.

https://shoeboxford.wordpress.com/2010/01/04/baxter-ford/

Tom

Peder D    -- 11-01-2015 @ 1:41 PM
  Ok, thanks Tom. Is the Ford speedometer mechanics different from the Mercury for 1946? Peder

TomO    -- 11-02-2015 @ 6:51 AM
  I am sorry that my previous post was in error.

Mercury speedometers had a trip odometer and not all Ford speedometers had this.

The guts for the 42-48 Mercury speedometer are the same.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 11-2-15 @ 6:54 AM

Peder D    -- 11-02-2015 @ 1:04 PM
  Thanks Tom. Am I then to understand that the Ford speedometers guts with the trip odometer can be used in the'42-48 Mercury speedometer?

TomO    -- 11-03-2015 @ 7:08 AM
  Peder, yes, all you have to do is change the face.

Another source that may have a speedometer is Shirley Brownlee. The last phone number that I have for her is

404-906-7481

I do not have an E-mail address for her or her son.

Tom

Peder D    -- 11-03-2015 @ 1:22 PM
  Thanks again Tom. Am wondering if you could advise me on the voltage regulator. It seems to be original, but I have never taken off the "lid" and inspected it. The amp meter needle sometimes behaves irratic. It shows that it's charging. Could a near defective regulator influence the cars performance? Generator was checked a few years ago, and the brushes were fine. Haven't gotten around to checking the compression yet. As previously mentioned, everything is new under the hood, even all the wiring.
Still experiencing a "bucking" sensation at lower speeds and coming to a stand still. Also sputtering out the tail pipe when idling. Would appreciate knowing if the regulator could be a culprit? Thanks, Peder

TomO    -- 11-04-2015 @ 7:21 AM
  The voltage regulator controls only the generator charging rate.

The ammeter shows the current flowing to and from the battery. Erratic movement of the needle could happen normally when there is little current draw and the battery is at full charge. It could also be cause by unusual current draw due to an intermittent short circuit.

The voltage regulator is not a probable cause for your symptoms of bucking and the sputtering out the tail pipe.

At what speeds do you feel the bucking? The car should be able to idle down to 10mph without bucking. Idle speed and mixture can cause the bucking.

To set the idle speed and to check point dwell on the car, I connect my Tach / Dwell meter to the condenser connection on the distributor. You can now set the idle speed to 500 rpm.

Sputtering out the exhaust can also be caused by incorrect idle mixture.

Tom

Peder D    -- 11-05-2015 @ 11:47 AM
  Tom, the bucking occurs when I ease off on the gas pedal, slowing down or coming to a stop. Acceleration is good and strong with no hesitation. Sputtering noticeable when idling. Have basically adjusted idle screws by ear. Tried many times to adjust, but obviously no success. Not in posession of a dwell/tach meter, but can probably find someone who has. Could the condensor be at fault? Had the distributor completely rebuilt. Still need to pull the plugs and check compression. Installed new Champion H_10's. Bought new Autolite 216's to try out. Thanks so much! Peder

cliftford    -- 11-05-2015 @ 2:54 PM
  Peder, back in the day, the basic diagnostic tool was a vacuum guage. try to find one and check out your engine. There are several good posts on youtube on how to use them. I believe that some of the parts stores still sell them.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=9109