Topic: Air Conditioner in '41 Mercury

tbirdhandyman    -- 09-07-2015 @ 8:58 AM
  My '41 has an air conditioner that matches the factory heater color scheme. I know it is an after market unit made by Quickool Products Co. in L.A. CA. I need to know what year these units were available, and who sold them. Like everything else on this car, it works great. The button below the brake pedal is the radio station changer. This A/C unit and the Ford backup lamp is not included in the original bill of sale. I think the backup lamps were not available until 1942. Any information will help. Even the Lincoln/Mercury spare tire lock is on the bill of sale!

Tbirdhandyman

TomO    -- 09-09-2015 @ 6:10 AM
  I have never seen one like yours. Is it one that you fill the tank with water and it cools by evaporating the water?

Tom

tbirdhandyman    -- 09-09-2015 @ 3:07 PM
  Hi Tom, This unit's bottom is lined with a 2" thick sponge. The instructions tell you to fill to top of the sponges, and refill as needed. It is a Model 200 Portable Evaporator Air Conditioner. This companies original address was very near the main entrance to what is now LAX airport. Robert E.

Tbirdhandyman

TomO    -- 09-10-2015 @ 7:14 AM
  Those "swamp coolers" were sold from the 1930's to the 1960's. They were not popular in the Midwest, due to the humidity in the air. They worked best in the desert areas of the Southwest. Most of them were window mounted and did not have a powered fan. Yours is an unusual design and a keeper.

Tom

tbirdhandyman    -- 09-23-2015 @ 7:13 PM
  I drove the Merc to a car show last Saturday. There were 160 cars there, and no one had ever seen one of these A/C units. I ran the unit for some of the folks. The car was the only old car there that had not been modified. I still cannot find anyone interested in this car! It did win an award for being "As Henry built them". Robert E.

Tbirdhandyman

TomO    -- 09-26-2015 @ 7:44 AM
  Robert,

If you are trying to sell the car, you will need to keep advertising it until you find someone that is looking for a car like yours.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=8954