Topic: fuse box / location - 46' Merc

clorenc    -- 07-04-2015 @ 11:35 AM
  I'm guessing there has to be a fuse box on this 46 Merc. Can anyone give me some clues?

ford38v8    -- 07-04-2015 @ 1:34 PM
  There is one standard fuse that serves all the lights, located high up on the inside firewall above the steering column. A second fuse is inline in the power line to the radio.

Alan

clorenc    -- 07-04-2015 @ 2:20 PM
  Thanks Alan. I think I see it. I just had shoulder surgery and can't maneuver very well yet. I'm assuming it is incased in a half round metal covering that is secured to the firewall. My wife tried to get it out but gave up on it so that she didn't break it. Does it just pop out or is there a trick to get it out?

len47merc    -- 07-04-2015 @ 2:56 PM
  clorenc - what is the problem you are trying to resolve that has you wishing to remove the fuse?

Additionally, from your description it sounds as if you may be looking at the ballast/ignition resistor. I've attached a pic for you to compare to what you are looking at. Let us know if this is what you are trying to remove as well as what the problem is you are trying to resolve and we can help you better and further.

Best -

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-4-15 @ 2:57 PM

clorenc    -- 07-04-2015 @ 3:14 PM
  Your right. It's the ignition resistor we are looking at. The car hasn't run for twenty years. New 6v battery. Fuel gage works but no lights. Turns over but won't start yet. Haven't installed new distributor and cap yet. Haven't checked fuel line to carburetor yet. When the ignition switch is turned on it starts to make a growling sound and then stops.

len47merc    -- 07-05-2015 @ 6:20 AM
  clorenc - isolate and identify the source of the growling sound before proceeding any further and let us know what you find. Do not leave the ignition switch on for very long periods of time (5-10 secs max) in your search.

In your last post you gave us information that suggests your original question was about much more than just a circuit not working, that being bringing your '46 motor back to 'life' (running) after sitting idled for 20 years. There is much to more to consider here to address that concern as you alluded to in your last post. Supportively speaking, I am having trouble understanding what you were asking for in the original post, as you referenced electrical and fuel considerations (as well as by omission mechanical) in your last post that suggest the motor may not be ready to be started yet, but perhaps you are attempting to do so and because it did not start were thinking a fuse was at fault - ?

So in addition to first resolving the growling issue, please help us better understand what your needs are - a circuit not working or the more comprehensive getting the '46 engine started and running again, or perhaps both.

I see in your other post entitled '46 Merc' you were asking about the lights (which lights - dash or head/tail lights or both) not coming on but the fuel gauge was responding to the ignition switch so perhaps that is all you are after. Here though, you suggest a much larger issue requiring a much more comprehensive and holistic approach, which of course we are glad and eager to help you with. Thanks!

EDIT - btw, we'd love to see a pic of your '46 if you have time to post in any upcoming reply!

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-5-15 @ 6:27 AM

ford38v8    -- 07-05-2015 @ 8:38 AM
  Clorenc, In my previous post, I told you the location of a fuse under your dash. I was thinking of the pre-war fuse, which you don't have. In the same location however, you should find a circuit breaker. It will be a metal box on the same panel as your ignition ballast resistor. Its function is to interrupt the lighting circuit when it overloads heating up the breaker. When it cools, it resets itself. This cycle repeats itself rapidly, producing a growling sound. When you hear it, it indicates a short in a lighting circuit somewhere. The enclosed picture shows the panel with resistor and circuit breaker.

Alan

len47merc    -- 07-05-2015 @ 8:59 AM
  In support of Alan's comments that is the exact panel and components on my very early '47 Merc, so you should see the same clorenc. Didn't personally have the problem with the circuit breaker growling (or know about it) but glad to now have that info for future reference - thanks Alan.

Steve

TomO    -- 07-05-2015 @ 9:06 AM
  There are many causes of the lights not working on a car that has been sitting. The most common cause is the foot dimmer switch, next is the dash light switch followed by the circuit breaker and wiring problems.

The growling sound could be an electric fuel pump or another accessory.

Let us know which problem that you want to solve first, so we can give you a checklist to solve the problem.

Tom

clorenc    -- 07-05-2015 @ 5:35 PM
  Wow! You guys are awesome! I loved working on the 50's and 60's cars back in the day but this 46' Merc is throwing me some curves. I just had rotator cuff surgery so I need to back off most of this for a couple of months or my wife will hurt me if she sees me under the hood, etc. I appreciate all of the detailed feedback and really look forward to picking up on it again.
Can someone tell me how to download a picture?
Thanks, Cameron

len47merc    -- 07-05-2015 @ 6:08 PM
  Cameron - Assuming you have a picture of your car on your computer/hard drive, if you are technically aware of how to resize it to 1024 X 768 size max please do so and save that back to your hard drive either as the same file name or as a new file name (via 'save as'). Then simply reply to any of the e-mails in this stream and select 'Browse' right beside 'Image Attachment' and navigate to and select the file you just saved (or the original file if you are unable to resize it to a smaller size to help our Administrator manage disk space) and once you have selected the proper file select 'Open'. This will attach it to your reply and then you can select 'Submit Reply' and you should be good to go.

On starting your long-idled car, I would never have gotten my '47 Merc to start as quickly and effectively as it did without TomO's, Alan's and others on this Forum's help (both of the former replied on this discussion thread). Suggest when you are ready that you resubmit questions as to 1st steps and you will, IMHO, have a much smoother, more efficient, much more effective, much swifter, higher quality and satisfying result if you solicit and follow their advice.

And for what it's worth, don't get too anxious - you'll get to where you want to go quicker if you stay patient.

EDIT - if you need help attaching &/or resizing/down sizing a photo PM me and I'll be glad to help with more detail if you need. Look forward to seeing your '46!

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-5-15 @ 6:16 PM

TomO    -- 07-06-2015 @ 6:24 AM
  Heed your doctor's advice about what you can do after your surgery. You certainly don't want to do damage to the shoulder. The car will wait until you are healed.

Steve's advice about patience is very important in working on these cars. The supply of good parts and good service are fast disappearing and you do not want to waste money on parts that you do not need and may cause further problems.

I am waiting to see a photo of your car. Follow Steve's advice to post one.

Tom

clorenc    -- 07-13-2015 @ 1:52 PM
  Hopefully the pic shows up.

len47merc    -- 07-13-2015 @ 3:25 PM
  Pic looks great clorenc! Looks like you have a very, very nice foundation to launch from! Is that the original paint?

Your '46 and my early '47 are so close - lickin' my chops on the pic. Keep the faith and stay patient - patient - patient. You've a real gem there - if the interior and running gear are as nice as the pic of the exterior shows you're truly golden! For me, as a (can't believe I'm saying this) newbie preservationist, hope you can keep it as original as possible! You will find it to be a real treat to drive when you are through!

Hold on to those Merc trim pieces - some of those are extremely hard to find now. Hood ornament - ?

Steve

clorenc    -- 07-14-2015 @ 9:21 PM
  Hood ornament is pretty much the only trim missing. There are some dents in the body as well as some bondo, but that will all come off much later. Interior is mostly there but sun rotted. Center dashboard trim crumbled. Lots to do. Thanks for your advice and support!

fsacht    -- 07-15-2015 @ 5:44 AM
  Clorenc,
I have a decent hood ornament you can have. I can mail it to you. I don't know the procedure for exchanging personal information, email and other addresses.
Are you in the USA?

TomO    -- 07-15-2015 @ 6:39 AM
  Cameron, the Mercury looks like it is very nice car that you can drive while you fix it up.

When a car has been sitting for 20 years, many of the parts deteriorate. The rings may be stuck and you may have stuck valves, so I would start by trying to turn the engine over by hand. Use a breaker bar and socket on the crank pulley nut to make sure that the engine is free.

Plan on rebuilding or replacing all of the brake parts. The rubber parts will be trash after 20 years of sitting. As you go through the running gear, you may find a few more problems, but don't give up as they can all be solved.

Tom

len47merc    -- 07-15-2015 @ 3:05 PM
  Can't endorse and emphasize enough Tom's comments on the brakes. A couple of points to tag on - one, even if a brake line looks good, for a car sitting that long and in the condition yours may be the line likely is close to failure or is completely clogged with muck/old brake fluid. When Tom stated '...all of the brake parts...' that truly means ALL. Two, regardless of how patient you might ultimately be, if you focus on getting the motor running first the urge to drive it when the motor fires up the first time will be great and possibly so strong as to override one's sense of personal safety. Strongly support it being better to have the brakes, front end, steering and suspension buttoned-up as a first order of business so that when it's ready for the first spin around the block you and the car end up safe back in your own driveway.

Steve

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=8697