Topic: Rear Leaf spring

oldguy    -- 04-24-2015 @ 7:30 AM
  just removed my rear spring for rework. I noticed a number stamped into the top leaf, does anyone have info on what it is and what does it mean to the spring fabricator.
# stamped: 78 5560 C M (pic attached)

This message was edited by oldguy on 4-24-15 @ 7:31 AM

TomO    -- 04-25-2015 @ 8:14 AM
  That is the part number of the 12 leaf rear spring assembly for a 38-39 Sedan Delivery.

If you are working on a 39-40 Mercury, the spring has been replaced in the past, with a service replacement.

Tom

oldguy    -- 04-26-2015 @ 9:00 AM
  Thxs Tom,
1-Well you just never know. So what would be the correct number part for 40 Merc two door sedan(not coupe)?
Were would I look to find this kind of info?

2-You also mentioned in the other post about putting the shackles into freezer to shrink them, how does one ensure that the shackle bolt "flats" top and bottom align to ensure assembly ease when installing the shackle bars,as the bolts will expand and be tight( almost a press it)in position?

TomO    -- 04-26-2015 @ 10:29 AM
  01A-5560-D would be the correct rear spring for a 40 Merc 2-door sedan. The spring that you have has 12 leaves and is probably not covered. The correct spring is 11 leaf and has covers. You would find the correct spring part number in the Chassis Parts catalog.

Either spring will give you about the same ride, the spring without covers would cost you a couple of points on the Concourse.

You can usually move the center section of the shackle bolts enough to assemble the parts. It is just the outer portion that fits tight.

Tom

oldguy    -- 05-31-2015 @ 2:11 PM
  Finally got the spring reinstalled using a power pac. Made the job a piece of cake. Could not believe what was causing the spring to flatten out on the driver side. The knee action shock had frozen in the up position and was pulling up on the spring which in turn was causing the car to list to that side. When the spring was removed I noticed that the driver side of the rearend was still higher than the passenger side. Removed the driverside shock and the rear went level. Rearched the spring turned it end for end now the car sits level.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=8439