Topic: Engine ID

Tracker    -- 12-21-2014 @ 8:06 AM
  Found a 1952 ? school bus with a low mileage flathead v8 & top load trans. Question : would this be a drop in for a 51 Merc Cv I'm building ? Can't read the nos on the engine for the rust & crud but odometer shows only 20k miles. Pretty sure its a Merc judging by the mtr mounts. Owner says it was running when parked in

Thanks for any input on this

Tracker

rotorwrench    -- 12-21-2014 @ 10:20 AM
  The bus would have a truck engine set up. Mercury car water pumps allow the motor to set lower than a truck but require the U-shaped spacers to get proper fit in the frame. Any 8BA motor can be used since they are the same. The only difference is the cam and 4-inch stroke crankshaft internally. You would just need the Mercury specific external parts like the fan, waterpumps, intake manifold, breather tube, and oil pan to get it to bolt right in. You can use the late 51 trans & bell housing or the early type trans & half bell like the 49 to early 51 use.

supereal    -- 12-21-2014 @ 1:39 PM
  Any engine that has sat for that long is almost always good for just the block. It will need to be disassembled and checked for cracks or other damage, such as freezing. Most engines that were stored or abandoned were because of problems that caused them to be no longer usable. Don't buy such an engine without inspection unless you need a boat anchor.

Tracker    -- 12-22-2014 @ 7:03 AM
  Thanks SR...actually I was buying the complete bus to mount on a platform to make a mobile duck camp.

The engine and trans were/are a bonus to the purchase. If the engine upon inspection turns out to be a bust, it will serve as a sea anchor.

I have been unable to find any re-buildable flatheads in my area and still holding to wanting to bring this car back as all original as possible.

Tracker    -- 12-22-2014 @ 7:13 AM
  Thanks Rotorwrench...on closer inspection, I see the differences you mention re the mounting. I have enough spare parts to make this work if the block is any good. We are taking it out today for cleaning and machine shop inspection.

It is so corroded I can't make out the nos on it but others tell me pretty sure its a Merc...if that proves to be the case, will probably do a full shop resto.

The bus is in a lot better shape than the write up implies as it was closed to the weather all those years and nearly rust free. If the block cleans up, the trans and mtr are a bonus to the purchase.

Thanks again.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=8031