Topic: Tire Questions

len47merc    -- 09-17-2014 @ 4:37 AM
  Questions regarding 670-15 vs. 710-15 Firestones (3 1/4" whitewalls) for my '47 - need experienced input. 670s are closer to the original 650s. Both the 670s and 710s have the same tread width. 670s have a 7.01" section width and are rated for 1,450 lbs, whereas the 710s have a 7.7" section width and are rated for 1,550 lbs. Heights are close enough to not be a significant consideration, so the questions are will the 670s, with the narrower section width provide a stiffer ride but with better handling? And will the 710s with the wider section width provide a softer ride with diminished handling/more 'roll' and tire sheer? Or given both the lower load capacity of the 670s and the higher load capacity of the 710s should roughly the same performance be expected out of both?

Intuition has me leaning toward the 710s assuming they will provide a more comfortable ride but realize the assumption may be wrong. Have to make a decision to support a warranty replacement of another brand which were 710s but the specs for those tires are closer to Firestone's 670s. Thanks -

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 9-17-14 @ 6:52 AM

TomO    -- 09-17-2014 @ 7:14 AM
  Steve,

There is much more than section width and size to determine ride quality and handling, and I don't know of a way to determine this without specialized equipment. Making a tire is a very complicated process and tires made by the same manufacturer but in a different size can exhibit very different characteristics.

I had Continental tires on my modern car and was not happy with either the ride or the handling. I blamed it on the car. When they became 7 years old, I decided to replace the tires and bought Goodyear Comfort Tread. Besides increasing the wet traction by at least 10 time, the tires rode better, were much quieter and the car handles much better. My son was so impressed with the change that he bought the same brand for his car, they performed better than the Bridgstones that were on his car, but there was not the dramatic change that I experienced. His tires are a different size and make more highway noise than mine.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=7741