Topic: '47 Roof Mount Antennae

len47merc    -- 08-14-2014 @ 4:58 PM
  Although upon receipt my '47 still had (I thought) all the original manuals, tags, etc., upon restoring the Adjust-O-Matic radio to good working I find one instruction sheet/manual is missing, that being the one for the roof-mount antennae. Is there any magic or defined process to optimize these for reception? The antennae has a clear plastic knob in the rod between the dash and the roof with an allen set screw to secure it in place on the vertical chrome rod - purpose? And, the antennae can be extended almost 2.5' beyond the 1 ft or so stainless sheath it is housed in on the roof - any special 'tricks' for length optimization beyond 'set it and forget it'? Am always surprised by the process intent and results of some of the items I've yet to tinker with on this car and anticipate this will be no different. Thanks in advance -

Steve

TomO    -- 08-15-2014 @ 6:05 AM
  The antenna trimmer adjustment in the radio is set with the radio on a weak station and the antenna in the lowered position. Then the antenna length is adjusted as needed for weak signals.

This information should be in your radio booklet.

Tom

len47merc    -- 08-15-2014 @ 6:28 AM
  Thanks Tom - the only reference to the antenna adjustment in the manual references '...the antenna trimmer (see Fig. 1) should be adjusted for maximum signal', and Fig. 1 does not illustrate the plastic knob but only states under the image of the radio face 'ADJUST ANT. TRIMMER THRU SHAFT HOLE AFTER REMOVING KNOB'. This latter reference is not to the clear plastic knob on the chrome plated antenna shaft between the windshields running from the dash to the roof but to an adjustment screw under the tuning knob. My assumption must be that the plastic knob's sole purpose is to secure the connection between the top and bottom sections of the antenna that interface in this middle-of-the-windshield area.

Have to admit I am a bit embarrassed I did not see the briefly stated trimmer adjustment that you referenced above in the manual. Thanks for clearing that bit up for me.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 8-15-14 @ 6:33 AM

TomO    -- 08-15-2014 @ 7:12 AM
  The plastic knob on the roof top antenna is for raising and lowering the middle section of the antenna.

The antenna has 3 sections, fixed lower section that fits in the radio, the middle section that can be adjust from inside the car and the small top section that can be pulled for better long range reception.

There is no reference in any manual about how to adjust the antenna, I guess that is one of the "something that everyone knows", like how to replace a headlight bulb and not as important as how to open the ashtray, which seems to be explained in many of the Owner's manuals.

Tom

len47merc    -- 08-15-2014 @ 9:15 AM
  Yeah - kinda feeling a bit foolish on this one. In my defense though, the middle section of the antenna has been in place so long that it was more than a bit stuck in place in the top grommet & mounting fixture. So stiff I was anxious about pushing or pulling any harder for fear of damaging something, so the assumption came into play that the clear plastic knob was for something else.

The length of the antenna question came from adjusting antenna length to optimize the standing wave/reception on various radios - CBs, short wave, home interior am antennas, etc.. In the past I've over-simplified items on this car that seemed brain-dead obvious only to find there was actually more reason than rhyme to the '47 engineers' minds, so was just ensuring there wasn't something more at play here and not taking the obvious for granted. In this case I should've stayed with the obvious.

Thanks -

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 8-15-14 @ 6:33 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=7619