Topic: 1941 Merc Steering Box Rebuild

rospar    -- 06-21-2014 @ 7:48 PM
  The front end of my 1941 Merc was almost completely restored by the previous owner before being stored for over 20 years. The steering box was not restored and has no further adjustment for worm gear and roller wear.

I read that the Ford steering shaft will not fit the Merc, it is too short, but have not found any information about the steering box parts. Macs offers a rebuild kit for 37-48 Fords. I have not found specific Merc steering box parts.

Can anyone tell me if the Ford parts will fit, or if you know of a source for Merc steering box parts?
Thanks - Bob

This message was edited by rospar on 6-22-14 @ 5:30 AM

TomO    -- 06-22-2014 @ 9:31 AM
  There are 2 different shafts for the 41 Mercury. One for the cars that have the starter button on the lock body and one for the cars that have the starter button on the dash. The second one was used to 1948.

You can search for a NOS one, but they are hard to find, Many of them and the ones for the 39 and 40 Mercury were used up in restoring Fords. The Ford restorers pressed the worm off of the shaft and pressed it on the Ford shaft. I have heard that the current reproductions are not very good.

You may be able to find a good used worm and press it onto your shaft. The sector gear is the same for Ford and Mercury from 1939-1948.

Many worm gears were ruined by people trying to take up slop in the tie rod and drag link ends by adjusting the steering box. The easiest way to find the slop is to jack up one front wheel, grab the front and rear of the jacked up tire and try to move the wheel from left to right. There should be only about 1/32" movement or less. If there is more, visually check each tie rod and drag link for movement while the wheel is being moved.

Tom

blarge    -- 06-22-2014 @ 6:33 PM
  I have a NOS mercury steering box assembly that will fit the 41 thru 1948 Mercury. It is shown in the attached photos and is shown for sale in the current issue of the V8 Times , page 110. The cost is $500 plus shipping. This part is the real thing and is guaranteed to be new, Ford mfg, and never been on a car and that it has the long shaft of a Mercury. Let me know if you are interested. Thanks, Bill Large

blarge    -- 06-22-2014 @ 6:36 PM
  Here is a second photo of the steering shaft locking ring sleeve that can be removed by taking out 2 set screws if you do not want to use it. Bill Large

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=7441