Topic: spark plugs for 40 mercury

jerandbee    -- 04-05-2014 @ 10:43 AM
  I have a 1940 Mercury that I would like to show - the listed spark plugs are H10 Champion but H10 comes in a 5 rib porcelain and a 2 rib porcelain - can someone please tell which is correct for showing and how many points are lost if you do not have the correct set installed. Any help would be thoroughly appreciated.
Thank you.

supereal    -- 04-05-2014 @ 11:37 AM
  I [prefer the Champion RJ14YC long nose plugs over the stock H-10. It reduces fouling. I'm not familiar with the judging rules, but you can swap the plugs before you show the car with little effort.

len47merc    -- 04-06-2014 @ 6:39 AM
  I recently reviewed several original '38's to '40's in a local quasi bone yard here in NC, some of which were still running. All had H9's still in the heads - not H10's. There is apparently a difference of opinion and varying historical records here but the H10's are understood to prevail for judging purposes. I have corresponded with an EFV8 technical adviser on this and he confirmed the H9 vs. H10 debate, but the judging expectation - right or wrong - is H10.

I run Autolite 216s instead of the H10s for the same reason noted by supereal. If I were to submit the chassis/engine for judging down the road I'd likely change out to H10s for the show only.

Cannot address the 5 vs. 2 rib issue - be interesting to hear what you find out in the end.

Steve

TomO    -- 04-06-2014 @ 9:01 AM
  The 40 Merc came with the 2 rib plugs with black writing on them. The bases were blued rather than cad plated.

The post war cars had different plugs depending on the year of manufacture.

If the judge catches the wrong plugs, you would loose 8 points max. My experience is that the judges just look for the blued base.

Here is a link to the judging forms, so you can judge your car before it goes to the meet.

http://www.earlyfordv8.org/early-ford-forms.cfm

Here is a photo of an Merc engine compartment that did not loose any points at Dearborn 2003.

Tom

len47merc    -- 04-06-2014 @ 9:23 AM
  Jerandbee - Tom is correct. On page 5-11 of the '41-'48 Ford Book is a photo of the Pre War and Post War versions of the H-10's. The Pre War is shown to be a 2-ribbed version, while the Post War version is a 5 ribbed version.

Only dove-tailing what Tom stated above, the book also states the Pre War '...original plugs were one piece construction, had black bases, copper compression washers and solid, smooth, brass push on terminal nuts', and '...the Champion and H-10 designations were printed on the porcelain part of the plugs'.

Hope this helps.

Steve

TomO    -- 04-06-2014 @ 10:37 AM
  Steve,

The H9 is a colder plug used for high speed driving. You NC guy always have the pedal to the floor, so you find a lot of H9's.

The H10 was the standard plug used in the Fords, Mercury and Lincolns of the era. The H9 would be used where a colder plug is needed and the H11 where a hotter plug is needed. IMHO any of these plugs from the correct era, should be acceptable on the Concourse, but I am not on the Judging Standards Committee.

The 2 rib H9's are easier to find than the H10's.

Tom

jerandbee    -- 04-06-2014 @ 12:32 PM
  Many thanx to all the good information - surely do appreciate everyone's help.
Jerry Luthin

TomO    -- 04-07-2014 @ 6:50 AM
  You are welcome, Jerry.

Do you intend to bring your 40 Merc to any of the National meets this year? Which ones?

Tom

jerandbee    -- 04-08-2014 @ 4:37 PM
  Lord willing, I will be in Thousand Oaks.
Hope I get a chance to meet all of you. Jerry

TomO    -- 04-09-2014 @ 8:09 AM
  Jerry,

I will not be at Thousand Oaks, it is too far for mr to travel. I will just be at the Central National Meet in Springfield, IL. You will meet many very nice guys at Thousand Oaks.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=7197