Topic: steering wheel

39mercury    -- 03-16-2014 @ 12:17 PM
  i would like to remove the steering wheel on my 39 Mercury in order to restore and paint it. I have not found any information about the correct way to remove it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

ford38v8    -- 03-16-2014 @ 12:39 PM
  THe horn/light rod must be disconnected at the bottom of the steering box. Swing away the bale and drop the bulb, remove the spring loaded clip from the rod, the rod/horn button will then be removable from topside.

It is very important to not bend the rod while pulling it out. If yours is a convertible, put the top down and the rod pulls straight up and out. Closed cars are more difficult: Loosen the steering box mounting bolts, remove the wooden floorboard and the steering column support at the dashboard, open the drivers door, move the column to point out the door, then the rod will pull out without hitting the overhead.

The rod/horn button out, the nut is exposed which when removed allows the steering wheel to be removed.

This is a lot of work, and you may give a thought as to why Ford made them this way? The answer is that the body was lowered down onto the complete rolling chassis at the assembly line. Lifting the body off the frame would be the other way to do your job, so pick which way you want to go!

Alan

39mercury    -- 03-16-2014 @ 5:49 PM
  Thanks for the information Alan. It is a lot of work,but when you think about dropping the body on a complete chassis it makes sense. The one design issue I see is having the headlight switch in the worst possible environment! I have removed the switch from the column and I have the seat out. I am in the process of replacing the headlight harness anyway. I had the car painted and after I started putting it back together the left headlight did not work. Then I noticed the wiring harness could use replacement etc.. One question I have is where is the spring loaded clip for the horn button located. Is it inside at the bottom of the column just above the headlight switch bulb? I will start removing the wood floor next time I work on it (probably next Saturday) Thanks Steve

ford38v8    -- 03-16-2014 @ 6:48 PM
  Steve, the bale must be swung aside that holds the bulb at the bottom of the steering box. This bulb is usually very greasy on the outside, very clean inside, so take a hint on that. Inside, the rod (tube) protrudes from the center. Free the clip from that rod and it will pull up and out.

Hint on your harness... get a good one from a good supplier, and specify that all connections be soldered, not simply crimped. When assembling, use electric grease on the bullets, or solder them as well. The actual job was intimidating, so I I printed a large shop copy of the wiring diagram to use under the car, and labeled all wire ends on the old as well as the new harness.

Alan

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 3-16-14 @ 6:49 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=7125