Topic: '47 Merc Engine Accessory Colors

len47merc    -- 02-24-2014 @ 6:34 AM
  During on-car main front and rear seal replacement have removed and vatted the gunk-encrusted oil pan from an original, untouched motor of a '47 Merc, afterwhich the pan and dipstick tube are now bare metal ready for priming/painting though no trace of the original paint is evident. I can tell the starter & generator were originally matte/satin black which research thus far supports as being correct; however, I have not been able to determine whether the oil pan and dipstick tube were originally blue like the motor & transmission or black, or blue and black respectively. Bill Hirsch indicates they 'thought' the oil pans were matte/satin black and the dipstick tubes were blue, but could not confirm. Other supplier sources have been equally unsure of what is correct. Can anybody advise with confidence what is correct, and as well, advise any documentation for personal resource that contains such details? Thanks in advance.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 2-25-14 @ 7:03 AM

supereal    -- 02-25-2014 @ 6:46 AM
  The oil pan was usually assembled to the engine before it was painted, so the interior wasn't covered with paint. I say "usually" because one sure thing is that Fords sometimes don't conform.

len47merc    -- 02-25-2014 @ 7:03 AM
  Perhaps I wasn't clear. Your comment about assembly then paint makes sense supereal and is what I thought would be the case. The exterior of the pan is all I am concerned about - the cleaning/vatting process stripped any paint remnants off the exterior of the pan and surprisingly 4 of 5 Vintage Ford part suppliers' 'old-timers'/experts have steered me toward a gloss black for the pan and dipstick with Ford blue for the motor/trans (the latter is clearly evident on the vehicle). Perhaps it is of no consequence - just wanting to get it right the first time so I do not have to repeat the process down the road. Having not yet been to a judging comp/show and observing what is deemed 'correct' I remain unsure as to what color I should go with. Still have time as the front rope seal is only one day through a week long oil bath soak.

Steve

TomO    -- 02-25-2014 @ 10:01 AM
  Steve, contact Rusty Davis. My thoughts are that the outside of the pan and dipstick tube were painted gloss black, like the earlier cars. I honestly do not remember seeing a blue pan or dipstick tube.

Do you have the 41-48 book? I think that it is covered in there.

Tom

len47merc    -- 02-25-2014 @ 11:40 AM
  Thanks Tom - will do. I do not have the book yet but will pursue this evening.

Steve

len47merc    -- 02-25-2014 @ 6:55 PM
  For us all - definitive answer from Rusty Davis (cut & pasted below with his permission), plus additional engine/trans/component colors info:

"Yes, this information would be in the 41-48 Ford book and pertain to both Ford and Mercury.

Gloss Black is what most people paint their oil pan but more correctly it should be a satin finish. The dipstick handle and tube are also black. If you have the boss on the side of the oil pan that the tube and oil filter screw into it would be natural.

As odd as it sounds, the blocks were painted before they were machined. That means anything that is a machined surface is natural and everything else is blue. Anything steel - not cast iron- that is attached is black unless it is pot metal such as the carburetor or the base of the fuel pump stand and the fuel pump. The only exception to this rule of thumb is the fan base that bolts to the intake manifold. The entire fan assembly is black. Water pumps are blue unless they have stamped pulleys, then those pulley's are black. The cast pulleys are blue.

The transmission is blue with the exception of the shift arms. They are black.

It is fairly simple if you think about the source of parts and what is done. Most of the black parts were dipped so the finish paint was thin and runny to cover. That's why satin is more appropriate than gloss."

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 2-26-14 @ 4:59 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=7061