Topic: Fan assembly

earls50flat    -- 01-01-2014 @ 12:48 PM
  The shaft in the fan assembly on my '50 Merc flathead is bent. If I rebuild it , where can I find the shaft and is it pressed in ? Can I leave the fan assembly off and go with an after-market electric fan ?

This message was edited by earls50flat on 1-1-14 @ 4:07 PM

rotorwrench    -- 01-01-2014 @ 4:26 PM
  My Dad had a fan blade fail on him once & dented the hood but I've never seen one yet with a bent shaft. I'm not aware of any resto part suppliers that sell the shaft & bearing separate from the hub assembly. I had a look at mine out of curiosity and the shaft & bearing resemble the ones used in the water pumps but I'd have to do some disassembly and measuring to find out how close. It appears to be a duplex or double row bearing with an extended shaft.

It might be easier to just find a good hub assembly. I see them on flea-pay now and then. Some NOS and some used that still turn free come up from time to time. A person could check with Stacy Brown in Arlington, TX and see if he might have one in his massive inventory of old dealer stock.

This message was edited by rotorwrench on 1-1-14 @ 4:28 PM

TomO    -- 01-02-2014 @ 9:01 AM
  I agree about trying to find a replacement assembly. Check with Stacy Brown for a NOS or good used assembly and some of the other vendors that offer used Ford and Mercury parts in Hemmings.

The 6 volt electric fans are sometimes inadequate in performance, so I would not recommend one.

Tom

earls50flat    -- 01-02-2014 @ 10:32 AM
  Thanks for all feedback . I will attempt to post pictures . If successful you can see what I mean . Also there is a number punched onto the shaft . After disassembly it was obvious that no grease had been applied in years if not decades .

supereal    -- 01-02-2014 @ 10:56 AM
  If the shaft is the same for '49 and '50. C&G shows it in their catalog as 21A-8639, $40. You can reach them at 800/266-0470. I would be concerned as to how the shaft was bent. It is a fairly substantial part that wouldn't seem to be fazed by an overtightened belt. It is basic practice in auto repairs when a part fails, to determine the how and why. Last week a fairly new Chevy pickup came into our shop "on the hook" because the owner said it made a loud noise then the high temp light came on. The cause was sheared bolts on the crank pulley. When the last bolt let go, the pulley tore a big hole in the radiator. Whenever you hear an unusual noise from a vehicle, old or new, have it looked at. It will usually save big money. It is likely your fan made a noise, too.

rotorwrench    -- 01-02-2014 @ 4:43 PM
  The 1949 models had the early fan set up dating back to 1942 and it has the wide sheave pulley. These require that the oil reservoir be filled to keep them operating. Sometime in the 1950 model year FoMoCo started with the sealed bearing fan hub and the double belt waterpump drive.

The one in the photo appears to be the early one and all the parts are available for it from more than one early Ford supplier.

This message was edited by rotorwrench on 1-2-14 @ 4:49 PM

supereal    -- 01-03-2014 @ 4:51 AM
  If, in fact, you have the early hub with the oil reservoir, you can rebuild it as mentioned above. That hub design is oddly complicated, requiring a constant oil bath to be distributed by a "cork screw" groove and dipper. Originally, the recommendation was issued to use motor oil, as the sticker on one blade of the fan says. Later, this was changed to using gear oil, but the sticker remained the same. Filling instruction is important to prevent oil from being slung out. I finally constructed a sealed bearing hub for my '47, after two failures of the stock type. Over tightening the fan belt is the common cause of hub failure.

earls50flat    -- 01-03-2014 @ 3:11 PM
  Thank you for all info . I have ordered a shaft and will rebuild the unit . To appear so simple , the assembly does have an odd complexity . I considered replacing the screw with a grease fitting and using high temp grease for lubricate but can't decide if I may just cause more of a problem .

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=6876