Topic: '47 Merc Front Grill Logo Paint Question

len47merc    -- 12-10-2013 @ 8:54 AM
  Am in the process of removing the original faded and flaking accent trim paint from all areas of a '47 Merc and have a question regarding painting of one area. Please review the attached pic of the front grill ‘Mercury’ for which I have started removing the original paint and advise of whether originally the paint was only on the vertically ribbed background and not on the sides of the raised letters or whether the paint was originally supposed to cover the side of the letters, leaving only the ‘top’ (top in this photo, front of the letters when on the car) chroming exposed. I have seen both on the internet and want to get this technically correct the first time.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge and support you can lend.

UPDATE: EFV8C TECHNICAL ADVISERS WEIGHED IN AND HAVE ADVISED ORIGINALLY THE ENTIRE CAVITIES WERE LIKELY PAINTED AND THEN THE FRONT/TOP ONLY OF THE LETTERING PAINT BUFFED OFF LEAVING ONLY THE FRONT OF THE LETTERS CHROMED. EXAMPLES OF FULLY DOCUMENTED ORIGINALS PROVIDED BY THE ADVISERS SUPPORTED THE SAME. THANKS TO RUSTY & BRUCE FOR BOTH YOUR SUPPORT.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 12-11-13 @ 9:32 AM

blarge    -- 12-12-2013 @ 5:21 PM
  The paint is on the vertical area only. There is no paint on any part of the letters. I have several unused NOS parts to verify this paint application. Bill Large

len47merc    -- 12-15-2013 @ 4:28 AM
  Thanks Bill - best advice I can have. Painting the 'MERCURY' flat, vertical background only later today using pin striping brushes and very glad to have your confirmation.

Steve

blarge    -- 12-15-2013 @ 2:29 PM
  Steve: I had a local pin striper paint my hub caps by hand. He did a perfect job using Sure Shot paint, but I do not know what the color code was that he used.
I looked again at several NOS grill crests and the color comes up the sides of the letters from 0 to a 1/16 of an inch. This paint appears to be what crept around the paint mask used in the volume production process. Bill Large

len47merc    -- 12-15-2013 @ 4:15 PM
  Thanks Bill - the original Mercury grill logo on my '47 had paint up the letters as you described but given the age of the car, the fading and flaking of the original paint and the lack of original autos to review for validation, I could not be certain if this was what the original process and results were.

I may ultimately choose to take your 'pin striper' route on the hubcaps after I finish the grill logo.

For everyone's interest and benefit, under a separate discussion thread entitled ''47 Merc Red Accent Paint Color' the 1 Shot Kool Crimson 106-L, a relatively recent addition to 1 Shot's color chart/offering, is an on-the-mark color (to my eye and now other experienced EF restoration experts) for the accent trim application for these model years. That thread also contains the advice of a local pin striper on 1 Shot hardener, reducer, etc., that may be of help to the do-it-your-selfers out there. Both of these 1 Shot additives, while quite pricey, truly add value to the hand-painting process and finished product and allow the paint to slowly flow to an air-brushed-like finish that is very hard and brilliantly shiny.

Should you choose to try painting by hand the 'Mercury' grill logo yourself, from personal experience be prepared for a few hours or more of focused effort per coat if you are not a experienced artist or pin striper.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 12-15-13 @ 4:16 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=6802