Topic: 50 Merc radio

RAND    -- 11-28-2013 @ 6:31 PM
  Goes the dash need to come out completely to remove the radio? I couldn't find anything about the radio in my shop manual
Thanks,
Randy

TomO    -- 11-29-2013 @ 4:49 PM
  Most radios in the 50s came out of the dash by removing the knobs and the nuts behind the knobs and then slide the radio out. You may have an additional brace on your radio that is accessible from under the dash.

Tom

RAND    -- 11-30-2013 @ 9:43 AM
  Yes...there are two braces on my radio. One on each side. but cant seem to get it to fit between the dash and fire wall after I removed the knobs and 2 braces?
Hope the dash doesn't need to be removed to get the darned radio out? Not my radio in the pic but is the same setup on my Merc
Randy

This message was edited by RAND on 11-30-13 @ 9:45 AM

supereal    -- 12-01-2013 @ 8:20 AM
  The slots in the braces indicate that the radio must be lifted and moved back to be released, after the nuts behind the knobs are removed. Due to the cramped space, it usually takes a lot of maneuvering to get the radio out after the aerial, speaker wire, and power cable are disconnected.

supereal    -- 12-01-2013 @ 8:20 AM
  The slots in the braces indicate that the radio must be lifted and moved back to be released, after the nuts behind the knobs are removed. Due to the cramped space, it usually takes a lot of maneuvering to get the radio out after the aerial, speaker wire, and power cable are disconnected.

RAND    -- 12-01-2013 @ 3:53 PM
  Yes....The knobs are removed and the braces and the power and speaker cord and the aerial are removed as well. But I still cant get it to drop down between the dash and the firewall to remove it.
Thanks for the ideas though,
Rand

fla48    -- 12-01-2013 @ 6:22 PM
  While lifting the back of the radio, maneuver it left and right. It should come out face down and maybe at an angle. It is tight but will come out. Follow the same procedure when installing. The cramped space might leave you thinking it will not come out, but it does.

RAND    -- 03-30-2014 @ 7:19 PM
  Nope...Tried it again yesterday and there's no way that thing can fit without removing the dash or at least loosing it a bit, which I'm afraid to because of jarring some wires loose and opening another can of worms. I think ill just forget about the radio for now and just listed to the Flatty purr down the road. I was just wanting to install the radio for looks anyway. Randy

rotorwrench    -- 04-02-2014 @ 5:03 PM
  You may need to remove the heater plenum. Have you done that? My Radio manual mentions that as the only thing that has to be removed in order to install or remove the set other that the knobs, tuning disks, wire/coax connections, and the securing hardware. I know we used to have to take our old Merc to the radio repair shop every so often to have repairs performed and we never had to pull the dash.

I have pulled the dash out of one of my 51s and it isn't too difficult but a lot of stuff has to be removed to get it out easilly and reinstall for restoration purposes. There are only the two large bolts on the sides and the small screws on top under the windshield garnish trim that hold the dash proper. I took the whole steering column out to repair a worn worm gear so that made it a lot easier plus I could paint it all and put it all back in without scratching it all to h*ll. It is the only easy way to rewire the dash. Any other way would give me nightmares.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=6764