Topic: 1946 Merc Convertable

46merc    -- 09-11-2013 @ 3:36 PM
  I have a 1946 Ford Mercury 69a Convertible all original. I have a small leak in the hydraulic rams. It has an original Auto-Flite pump on it . How do I check the oil and what sort of oil do I use. Cheers Mike.

TomO    -- 09-12-2013 @ 7:21 AM
  Mike, the power unit reservoir is on the engine side of the dash. If you have power windows, they must all be down and the seat must be in its full rear position. Add brake fluid to the full mark on the reservoir.

Before adding the brake fluid, I would check the type of fluid in the reservoir. Some cars have been changed over to hydraulic oil. Brake fluid feels different than hydraulic fluid.

Tom

supereal    -- 09-12-2013 @ 11:11 AM
  Once the hydraulic cylinders begin to leak, only replacement will fix it. The system originally used brake fluid as a medium, which draws moisture that erodes the interior of the cylinders. I bought a new pair from Hydro-E-Lectric for my '47. Their web site is hydroe.com. I now use ATF.

46merc    -- 09-12-2013 @ 3:27 PM
  Thanks for that info TomO and supereal. However how do I check the oil and how do I add it. I notice there is a clip on the bottom of the unit. Do I unclip that or is there a filler elsewhere. Cheers Mike.

supereal    -- 09-12-2013 @ 7:09 PM
  If you have the original type of pump, you should be able to unclip the reservoir and drop it from the pump body. Most those pumps have been frozen and damaged beyond repair. My remedy is to install an aftermarket pump behind the rear seat, and leave the original pump in place for appearance.

46merc    -- 09-16-2013 @ 3:07 PM
  Thanks supereal for your comments. The actual pump is working perfectly but with the rams having a small leak I was concerned about the oil level. Now that I know how to check it makes me feel happier. Seems the Kiwis are all having hydraulic problems even in the Americas Cup. Trust we are giving you are run for your money and you are enjoying the raceing as much as we are. Cheers Mike.

supereal    -- 09-17-2013 @ 1:13 PM
  It is a sure thing that if the cylinders leak, it can only get worse. If the system hasn't ever been flushed, it may still contain brake fluid, which is damaging to paint and about everything else it touches. I found that both cylinders in my '47 were leaking, and when we tested them on the bench, one decorated the ceiling! Most of the original pumps accumulated moisture over time, so look for water in the bottom of the pump reservoir. If it reaches the pump, and freezes, the pump will become junk.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=6516