Topic: 42 mercury

tubetype    -- 07-21-2013 @ 5:56 PM
  a few opions on the value of a 1942 mercury, 4 dr. sedan. in good condition. stored inside nice building for past 30 years. was running when stored. no visual damage. Please give me some idea what to offer for this car.

TomO    -- 07-22-2013 @ 10:22 AM
  Here is a link to the NADA Guide.

http://www.nadaguides.com/classic-cars/1942/Mercury/Mercury-29A/4-Door-Town-Sedan/Values

It is very hard to give a value on a car that you have not personally inspected.

If the car has not run in 30 years, you will need all new brake cylinders and rubber lines. The gas tank will have to be flushed out to remove any rust or varnish and the engine will most likely need rebuilding. Just these items will add about $10,000 to your purchase price.

Tom

supereal    -- 07-22-2013 @ 3:37 PM
  I agree with my "Mercury guy" Tom. Over the years I decided not to get involved with any car that cannot be started and driven. The "rule of thumb" is that one can expect to spend three times the initial cost of an unrestored car to get it into safe driving condition. So far, it has proven true for me, even though I have better than average resources. Fourdoors make good entry level cars, but are on the bottom of the value scale. Using the best price guides, I would rate a car that hasn't been driven for that long a "#5", at best. That would place a '42 4 door at about $2,300. Most cars of that rank usually are family cars or have some other sentimental value to considered for restoration. As Tom points out, '42 was a short production year, making body parts, in particular, extremely difficult to locate, and expensive, if you do.

This message was edited by supereal on 7-25-13 @ 10:25 AM

tubetype    -- 07-23-2013 @ 9:13 AM
  Thanks TomO and superreal. without out giving me a recommended price you have filled in the information I needed. And, you have saved me a lot of money.

TomO    -- 07-23-2013 @ 6:35 PM
  My reply was not meant to discourage your purchase, I just wanted you to realize the expense of getting a car that has been in long term storage safe for the street. If you are in love with the car, it may make sense for you to buy it. In spite of what they show on TV, very few people recover the cost of a restoration. We do get a lot of enjoyment out of driving and maintaining our favorite cars, and that is our profit for the restoration.

There were only 23,109 1942 Mercurys made and the survival rate was low due to the war restrictions. Most 1942 cars were designated for people that used their cars for work. IMHO any 1942 car that is complete is worthy of bringing back to life. Incomplete cars can be a problem to restore as there are no trim parts for them.

Tom

jal9846    -- 09-10-2013 @ 3:29 PM
  TubeType,

Did you end up buying that 42 Mercury? If not, might I ask for the information on it and where it is located? I would be interested in the car.
Thank You

tubetype    -- 09-12-2013 @ 5:03 AM
  Sorry to be so late getting back a reply. the car is located in Jasper, Al.
Owner name is Raymond Thetford. During the day he can be reached at Carl Cannon Chevrolet dealership (jasper Al.) He is asking 6,000.00. Let me know if I can be of futher service. (beseel@charter.net)

Owner name is Raymond Thetford. During the day he can be reached at Carl Cannon Chevrolet dealership (jasper Al.) He is asking 6,000.00. Let me know if I can be of futher service. (beseel@charter.net)

emartinez    -- 12-01-2013 @ 10:32 AM
  I have a 42 mercury Tudor sedan runs great all original. I am very interested in selling it because I want to start a truck project. I am Located in California. Call me if interested at 909 801 0532

emartinez    -- 12-01-2013 @ 10:34 AM
  I have a 42 mercury Tudor sedan runs great all original. I am very interested in selling it because I want to start a truck project. I am Located in California. Call me if interested at 909 801 0532

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=6334