Topic: Mercury vacum resiovor

46merc    -- 06-25-2013 @ 5:04 PM
  I have installed a vacuum resiovor that I picked up at a local swap meet for my 46 Merc. Checked that there were no leaks and installed the hose that comes from behind the carby directly into the inlet side and the other hose direct onto the wiper motor. Prior to doing all this the wipers worked OK but I thought that by installing this it would enhance there performance, however it has made them worse in fact the wipers not working at all. Should I have inserted some sort of non return valve in the delivery hose to the resivior? Any tips at all. Cheers Mike.

supereal    -- 06-25-2013 @ 8:30 PM
  You need a check valve between the reservoir and the intake manifold. This allows the manifold to draw air from the reservoir, but not the reverse. Use a tee at the reservoir to feed the wipers, and put the check valve in the hose to the manifold. I've used the valve sold by hot tub dealers to guard ozone generators. Don't expect a lot of improvement from the reservoir. At one time, Ford used tin cans such as ones that held juice for reservoirs, but later abandoned them.

woodiewagon46    -- 06-26-2013 @ 5:04 AM
  I had fantastic results with a 6 volt vacuum pump. I piped it into the wiper circuit with a small canister, it was for the wipers only, completely separated frpm the other vacuum requirements. I don't know however where you can locate a 6 volt pump any more!

blarge    -- 06-26-2013 @ 7:24 PM
  I have a Ford accessory vacuum tank installed inside the left front fender lower skirt of my 1948 Mercury. It has worked very well for 15 years and the wipers keep going for about 30 seconds when you open the throttle.
Even through my tank was a NOS part in a complete kit, the cast aluminum valve that screws into the side of the reservoir tank, has a non-operating check valve.
I corrected this by leaving the Ford parts as there were and then put a one way check valve in the big hose going to the intake manifold. The valve I used came from a modern car power brake booster supply line.
Page 723 of the Green Bible shows this tank set-up Bill Large 586-677-4790 Detroit

46merc    -- 06-26-2013 @ 9:59 PM
  Hey Bill thanks for your reply. As I am from New Zealand I am not sure what you mean by the Green Bible as I would like to refer to it. Cheers Mike

TomO    -- 06-27-2013 @ 8:05 AM
  Mike,

Here is a link to the online version.

http://www.norgv8club.org/norg/index.php/headliner-newsletters-and-tech-tips/category/11-parts-diagrams

The "Green Bible" is the reprint of the 1928 through 1948 Ford Chassis parts catalog. It is a good reference of what parts will fit your car, not what is correct for your car. It does not cover Mercury only parts, for that you need the 39-48 Mercury Chassis parts catalog.

Bill Large has had better luck with the tank than I had. I could never manage to keep the wipers going for more than a couple of seconds. How well it works depends upon the condition of the wiper motor and the engine. Bill's car is in great condition and is completely stock, while I have always had some type of performance cam in my cars.

Tom

46merc    -- 06-27-2013 @ 5:19 PM
  Hey Tom many thanks for your help re the green book. I have had a look at the catalogue and will print it out on hard copy for quick reference for the future. This is a great site to keep those old V8s running. Cheers Mike.

supereal    -- 06-27-2013 @ 7:20 PM
  For many of us, using RainEx works with balky wipers in the few times we get caught in the rain. If rain is a problem in Kiwi country, you might consider one of the available electric wiper motor conversions.

TomO    -- 06-28-2013 @ 7:07 AM
  Mike, you can buy the book and save hours of printing. The book is sold by many of the vendors in the US.

Tom

supereal    -- 06-28-2013 @ 10:23 AM
  The "green book" is also available in disc form, as are year specific shop manuals. Look at the book section on www.cgfordparts.com Using the CDs allows us to print off pages and take them out to the shop without toting the whole book and covering it with greasy fingerprints.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=6218