Topic: VIN location on a 46 Merc

46merc    -- 05-13-2013 @ 9:02 PM
  I have just imported a 1946 Ford Merc 69m ragtop fro the USA. Our authorities over here will not issue me a permit to drive it here because the VIN numbers on all the paperwork is different to the number on the chassis. Is the chassis in fact the vin number and if not where do we find it. Thanks Mike.

supereal    -- 05-14-2013 @ 7:10 AM
  There is no VIN number in the modern sense, only a production serial number that indicates where the vehicle ranked in that years overall creation of units. At production, a set of numbers was stamped on the frame, with the most accessable being on top of the left frame rail between the firewall and the front crossmember. It was also stamped on the transmission case next to the inspection port. However, most vehicles over the years had a least one transmission change, which renders that location unlikely to match the frame stamping. Why paper work numbers don't agree with the frame number, if you have actually found it, is probably due to sloppy paperwork, or a similar situation, here in the US. Many motor vehicle departments here are confounded by the lack of a modern VIN and simply assign a number, instead, by affidavit or other device. I would contact the seller, if possible, to obtain a sworn statement of ownership if you didn't get one.

TomO    -- 05-14-2013 @ 7:10 AM
  The Chassis number is the number used by most states to register the vehicle. It should be stamped on the left frame rail between the steering column mount and the front cross-member. It should be in the format of
*99A 650280* to *99A 1412708*

If your title doesn't have these numbers, contact the seller and have him provide proof that your DMV will accept that the car was registered that way in the USA.

Tom

46merc    -- 05-15-2013 @ 2:48 PM
  Many thanks for your reply superael. I live in New Zealand so you can imagine the difficulty I will have in sorting this out. I may try an affidavit process. . Cheers Mike.

46merc    -- 05-15-2013 @ 2:50 PM
  Hi Tom many thanks for your reply I may go the sworn affidavit way . Cheers Mike.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=6036