Topic: parts manuals

angus    -- 10-07-2012 @ 2:27 PM
  hi all

i want to get a parts manual for a 48 mercury convertible . which would be better the green bible or the mercury one what do you think ? thanks

This message was edited by angus on 10-7-12 @ 2:38 PM

supereal    -- 10-07-2012 @ 8:36 PM
  The green book is an essential need for any old Ford from 1928 to 1948. For the most part, the running gear on your car is the same as for Ford. The available body parts book is also helpful, and has a section on convertibles. Otherwise, it is difficult to get exact information on open cars, mostly because they were low production cars with bodies usually produced outside of the Ford company. I spent many years restoring my '47 convertible, searching for the unique parts. The best source I found for manuals is C&G. They have pages of books.

angus    -- 10-08-2012 @ 5:46 AM
  What do you mean by "the available body parts book". Is that the Mercury I mentioned and is that also the one with the convertible information in it?

Thanks again

TomO    -- 10-08-2012 @ 6:59 AM
  The 1939-1948 Mercury Chassis Parts Catalogue is the better catalog for your car. The Green Book does not have the Mercury only parts listed.

Tom

rotorwrench    -- 10-08-2012 @ 8:30 AM
  FoMoCo came up with chassis parts catalogs & body parts catalogs for every year but they only stayed in print for that year then they were updated the next year for the new models. Similar year model types were grouped together but each model year changed some part numbers to update the latest available parts. It's sometimes hard to find the catalogs that were made for the year of car a person has but they are out there. I see them on flea-pay every now and then. The green bible was the last update for chassis parts for the average Ford so it is invaluable too.

This message was edited by rotorwrench on 10-8-12 @ 8:32 AM

supereal    -- 10-08-2012 @ 9:10 AM
  Angus: I apologize for not being more specific on the parts book. The one that had more convertible information on than the others in my collection is the 1944-1952 Body Parts Catalog. It is available from C&G as item# V-44, $52. (800/266-0470). You can look at the array of books and manuals at their web site cgfordparts.com On Mercury matters, I defer to my friend TomO. I have had only one Merc, a beautiful '50 club coupe, but lots of Fords. The green book is valuable for its drawings of parts, alone. It takes some criticism for the changes shown as the years passed, but in all, is a valuable resource on running gear, engines, and other assemblies. C&G shows it as FPS-3633, $75. That is a lower price now. Many books and manuals are now available in CD, as well. At our shop, all our info now comes that way. We print out what we need, and don't worry about losing it, or the inevitable grease, oil, etc, out on the floor.

angus    -- 10-09-2012 @ 1:54 AM
  hi all thanks so far.I have the operators manual for 48 merc and the 42-48 merc shop manual service handbook . I am thinking of getting the 39-48 chassis parts catalog and the 44-52 body parts catalog .This is the one with more on convertibles i think.Is that right ?What do you think would this be the best way to do it

any in put would be great thanks again

TomO    -- 10-10-2012 @ 7:14 AM
  The reprints can be less expensive than the original catalogs, but some have very poor print quality.

The 39-48 Mercury Chassis catalog has not been reprinted to my knowledge, and I have not seen the 44-52 body parts catalog, but if my friend Supereal says that it a good reference, believe him.

I would also recommend the Club's 41-48 Ford Restoration Book. It does not include Mercury information, but it does have a lot of good information on the 41-48 cars that will help with a restoration.

It can be purchased on this site or on the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum's site. The Museum gets a commission on the books that they sell.

http://www.fordv8foundation.org/

Tom

cpipp01@aol.com    -- 10-13-2012 @ 12:02 PM
  Hi I have original 1939 - 1948 Mercury Chassis Book & 1946 - 1948 Mercury Body Book both books a in very nice used condition. Cost $75.00 for the pair plus shipping, see attached photo and email me at cpipp01@aol.com for additional photos.

cpipp01@aol.com    -- 10-13-2012 @ 12:02 PM
  Hi I have original 1939 - 1948 Mercury Chassis Book & 1946 - 1948 Mercury Body Book both books a in very nice used condition. Cost $75.00 for the pair plus shipping, see attached photo and email me at cpipp01@aol.com for additional photos.

supereal    -- 10-14-2012 @ 7:30 AM
  C&G shows the 44-52 parts book in their new catalog. It was helpful, as it shows detailed diagrams and parts list for convertibles, something that is rare, particularly for the top mechanism. I suspect the reason is that convertible bodies were provided by an outside vendor instead of the Ford plant. Production numbers for open cars are much lower than the others, and survivors are few. Having spent years restoring mine, I can say finding the parts specific to these cars is a real scavenger hunt, but great fun when finished.

angus    -- 10-14-2012 @ 9:29 PM
  hi all thanks cpipp i got the chassis parts 39-48 as tomo said and the 44-52 as supereal said so should be ok for now but am open minded on all help thanks again .car gets to australia on 14th november

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=5281