Topic: Heater & wiper motor

BIGTERR    -- 09-23-2012 @ 3:29 PM
  Hi Folks, a newby here. I have a 47 Merc. coupe, bought
it about a month ago. My car originated from California, and of courst has no heater. The correct one came with the car, I have refurbished it and about to install it. Question: which terminal on the ignition switch do I connect to for power, I assume ground will be to the dash.
One other problem my windshield wipers go from park to the center and stop, they will return to park when I turn them off. I want to get the wipers going before I install the heater, because removing the wiper motor will be easier. Can the wiper motor be fixed or do I replace it. Thanking everyone in advance.

supereal    -- 09-23-2012 @ 3:54 PM
  The connection to the heater fan control goes to the ACC post on the ignition terminal on the switch. You can try to lubricate the vacuum
Motor with Mavel oil to see if you can revive the paddle seal, which has likely dried out. Just insert it thru the place the hose connects.
.There are rebuilders, such as Ficken, that can restore them.

supereal    -- 09-23-2012 @ 3:56 PM
  The connection to the heater fan control goes to the ACC post on the ignition terminal on the switch. You can try to lubricate the vacuum
Motor with Marvel oill to see if you can revive the paddle seal, which has likely dried out. Just insert it thru the place the hose connects.
.There are rebuilders, such as Ficken, that can restore them.

BIGTERR    -- 09-23-2012 @ 4:15 PM
  Thanks for the info. I tried spraying penetrating oil into one of the vacuum connections no luck, however there is another vacuum connection I couldn't reach, I'll try again. The ignition switch has 3 poles, which one is the ACC pole. Thanks again.

TomO    -- 09-23-2012 @ 5:10 PM
  I like to use 30w oil in the wiper motor. You should disconnect the linkage and run the motor with out the linkage for a couple of weeks of driving, until the motor sounds like it is working right. Then oil the motor and the linkage again, install the linkage but not the blades and repeat driving with the wiper motor on. When the motor works OK, install the blades and you should be fine. I run mine with out the blades every Spring to make sure the lubrication is distributed.

Tom

supereal    -- 09-24-2012 @ 7:18 AM
  There should be markings on the back of the switch showing the accessory and ignition terminals. As a practical matter, it doesn't matter much, but it s a good idea not to load the ignition part. The wiper motor has a seal on the paddle that dries out. If oiling it doesn't restore it, the seal will likely have to be replaced. Also, check the little fllipper valve, usually under a round cover. It must be free to move across the whole range to change direction of the arm. Most of us don't plan to drive in the rain, but if you live where it happens a lot, you might consider one of the electric conversions.

BIGTERR    -- 09-24-2012 @ 2:57 PM
  Thanks for the info. I took the wires off the ignition switch, one pole was marked COIL, the other gages, the third one I couldn't read. any advice?
Took the wiper motor out put oil in both vacuum connections, worked the lever many times, installed the vacuum hoses, same problem turn the switch on the motor goes one way, turn it off and the motor goes to park. It won't keep running in the on position.

TomO    -- 09-25-2012 @ 7:53 AM
  Connect the heater to the terminal marked Gauge.

You probably will have to remove the wiper motor and check the valve under the round cover to make sure that it flips to the other port when the motor reaches the end of the travel in one direction.

Go to the following site for a diagram of the motor

http://oldholden.com/node/95377

Tom

BIGTERR    -- 09-26-2012 @ 1:24 PM
  Thanks Guys, I will connect the heater to the terminal marked gauges.
I removed the round cover on the wiper motor, yes it does flip to the other port, installed back in car still the same problem. Going to search for another motor.

TomO    -- 09-28-2012 @ 7:17 AM
  You can have your motor rebuilt and that is probably a better option than a NOS motor. The lubricant in most NOS motors has dried out and it will be sluggish.

Here is the information for a rebuilder that is a V-8 Club member.

Kent Jaquith, 2633 SW Obsidian # 15, Redmond, Oregon (541) 923-4319
Clean-Sweep Windshield Wiper Motor Service, Sales and Rebuilding

Tom

supereal    -- 09-29-2012 @ 10:58 AM
  Try to run the linkage while it is disconnected from the wiper motor. The grommets in the linkage take a "set" when they get old, and the wiper shafts get rusty or otherwise gummed up. The vacuum motors are not very powerful and it doesn't take much to stall the blades at some point in the rotation.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=5236