Topic: Wheel balance

jimmott29    -- 09-18-2012 @ 9:41 AM
  I have been trying to balance the tires & wheels on my 1939 Mercury. The rims have a much larger hole than the newer ones and no one has an adaptor large enough to accomadate them. I have heard about the pellets that are put into the valve with the stem out but people have said they won't work well with tubes. I am thinking about bubble balanceing them, but no one has one of those anymore. I am going to Hershey in October & possibly someone will have one to sell there? I also remember back in the 70's, a balancer that would spin the tire on the car but try and find one of those cheep? What have others done?

Thanks, Jim

supereal    -- 09-18-2012 @ 11:46 AM
  Finding a tire shop that can actually balance the wide bolt circle wheels is rare today. At one time, there were adapters on the market, but I haven't seen them for a long time. Some shops had them for the wide circle VW wheels. Same is true for the tire spinners that balance the wheel and tire on the car. Shops that specialize in truck tires may still have them. The problem we have seen with repro tires is out-of-round. If you are having problems, that is something to check. It will cause wheel "tramp" that mimics balance problems. Mounting and balancing tube type tires is becoming a lost art. If any place might have them, Hershey would be a good bet. Pellets, etc, are usually a waste of time and money. And, that is a VERY nice rare car!

jimmott29    -- 09-18-2012 @ 1:44 PM
  Thanks for the reply & the complement. I'm going to keep trying to grt it smooth (as possible)

Jim

Stroker    -- 09-18-2012 @ 3:04 PM
  My car also has "wide-five" wheels, and I was able to find an antique balancing plate some years ago which required buying the ancient balancer. As Super stated, there was a plate
advertised in our V8 Times club publication a while back, but I haven't seen it for a year or so.

The solution that comes to mind is to purchase an adapter from a racing supply source
such as Speedway Motors, in Lincoln NE. The "wide-five" was/is, a popular dirt-track racing
item since the "skeleton wheel/brake drum/hub assembly" is lighter than a disc wheel/brake drum/hub assembly. Speedway offers various "wide-five" adapters to allow the use of racing
wheels on various hub layouts.

Oldad    -- 09-18-2012 @ 6:57 PM
  I had the same problem on a '37 Ford. I removed the outer bearing races from a front hub/drum which permitted it to fit on a modern balancer. I then had the tire shop balance the front hub/drum and then balanced each wheel tire assembly. I had a good result.
As supereal said check for out of round and runout before you balance.
I recently acquired a sixties vintage Alemite balancer that will spin balance the tire, wheel and drum on the car. There were no instructions with the balancer but I am hopeful of finding a set of instructions or an oldtimer who remembers how it was done.

jimmott29    -- 09-19-2012 @ 5:40 AM
  Thanks for the info on Speedway. I'm going to look into it.

Jim

ford38v8    -- 09-19-2012 @ 3:47 PM
  The VW adaptor doesn't fit the Ford wide five. In addition to Speedway, Dick Spadaro has adapters.
To minimize the size and number of weights used to balance a wheel, discover the heavy side of the wheel without the tire, and then after mounting, spin the tire's heavy side to opposite the wheel's heavy side. Try to obtain the old style weights, as the new weights are very large, containing no lead per EPA rules. Bubble balancers do work, and can still be found. An economical way to go.

Alan

jimmott29    -- 09-21-2012 @ 6:42 AM
  Thanks for all the input. I did get touch with Dick Spadro & he knew exactly what I was talking about. I ordered a adaptor plate from him for $75.00 + freight. I'll let everyone know how the balancing goes.

Jim mott

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=5215