Topic: STARTER AND DRIVE UNIT

oldguy    -- 09-06-2012 @ 8:45 AM
  Here goes,
The starter drive in my Merc, which has a 49 to 53 MERC block, has packed it in. I am looking into replacing the starter and drive as a unit.
Checking at "MAC'S" they show a complete 12v unit (18-11002-N12) as being for 51 to 53 MERC.
They do not show a complete unit for 49 to 50 MERC, only the stater drive.(B1135M) which they say covers 49 to 53 MERC's.
However, MAC"S shows a complete unit (18-11002-N12) for the 49 to 53 FORD.
1-Does anyone know, why there appears to be a difference in the starter, on the 49 to 50 MERC motor ?
2-Checking " BOB DRAKE" they have a 12v HIGH-TORQUE MINI STARTER (# 9507) for 32-53 FORD, does not mention MERC. Would that work in the MERC?
Thx
Oldguy

supereal    -- 09-06-2012 @ 6:07 PM
  If the starter drive has failed, but the starter itself is undamaged, you can replace the drive easily, and for less cost. If the starter drive failed because of a bad ring gear, a new drive will fail, as well. Check for broken or missing teeth. If any can be found by looking into the clutch housing, either the transmission or engine will have to come out so the flywheel can be removed. Be sure the starter shaft wasn't damaged or bent when the drive failed. We still find starters and drives at NAPA and other local sources.

This message was edited by supereal on 9-6-12 @ 6:08 PM

oldguy    -- 09-07-2012 @ 7:52 AM
  Hey,
The ring gear is new. Part # 8BA-6384-A was installed this year. The drive just keeps spinning. Don't know how old the starter and drive are, this is why I am considering replacing the whole unit and found the inconsistencies with the info in the MAC's cat. Which is why I am asking for help/direction.

supereal    -- 09-07-2012 @ 11:05 AM
  The correct drive for your car is B-11350 w/10 teeth. For the 51-56 Mercs, it was changed to 1CM-11350 due to a different transmission design. You can check these on C&G's site: cgfordparts.com The drives are less than $50, while the whole starter with drive is almost $200. I'd try the drive first since your ring gear is new. I hope it was installed facing the right direction. If not, it may be the reason for the drive failing. For those who are interested, we just received a new catalog from C&G, our preferred vendor, that covers 1957-1972 Fords and Mercs.

TomO    -- 09-08-2012 @ 8:13 AM
  I agree that replacing just the drive is probably better than replacing the whole starter. I would also try to find an original Bendix drive. The replacements being sold today have a high failure rate. The original Bendix drives have BENDIX on the bolt heads. If you can find one with a good gear, it will probably work for many years.

The symptom sound like the spring is broke or a bolt fell out of the drive,

Tom

oldguy    -- 10-03-2012 @ 1:12 PM
  Wasn't ignoring you guys,on holidays,crusing with my other 40 Merc.
Anyway all answers were helpful and correct right down to Toms answer. Yep,the drive spring had broken in three places,when the locking tabs and bolts worked loose.Lucky didn't mangle the new ring gear.
As suggested, I just put finished putting a new drive, (MAC's # B11350NUS & new key) on the starter. The starter internals looked almost new. Wonder why,someone would rebuild starter and not replace the drive. Go figure.
Thxs again
Oldguy

supereal    -- 10-04-2012 @ 11:00 AM
  Without disassembly, it can be difficult to determine whether the spring ("Bendix") is intact. We replace both the screws and the lock washers when we reinstall a drive. The drives take a real beating in use, and it is a wonder more aren't broken. Be sure that the spiral is clean, as an accumulation of oil and dirt will cause eventual failure when the gear doesn't fully retract when the engine starts.

TomO    -- 10-05-2012 @ 7:12 AM
  They may have replaced the drive with one of the new reproductions that have a higher failure rate than the original Bendix ones.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=5157