Topic: Hesitation on acceleration

pnyce    -- 06-26-2012 @ 9:50 PM
  Hi,

I have a '51 Merc but I would think that my problem could effect any carburetored Ford product. I have a hesitation in my throttle from idle to about 800 RPM. If I'm careful to feather the accelerator, I can get by from a standing stop. It's a bit difficult when going into overdrive without a lurch though. Once I'm past that point the car really goes, nice and smooth too. The fuel pressure is good and so is the vacuum advance. I recently rebuilt the carb (needle, seat, gaskets and acc. pump) hoping to get rid of the problem but it didn't help.

I really think it's the acc. pump but the new one didn't make any difference. Could the first 1/8" or so of the carb casting be worn to the point where the leather piston no longer seals? The carb probably has a 100K on it. Could it be the check ball at the bottom of the pump?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Pete

Thanks, Pete

ford38v8    -- 06-26-2012 @ 10:57 PM
  Pete, I answered your question on the Ford Forum before I saw it here.

Alan

Tracker    -- 06-27-2012 @ 7:29 PM
  I had the exact same problem on my 51 Merc .After doing all the repairs you did with no success, I added a new fuel pump pushrod and the problem went away.

The original push rod was badly worn at the point of contact. I bought the pushrod from Birdhaven. Hope this helps your problem.

pnyce    -- 06-27-2012 @ 9:01 PM
  Hi Tracker,

That's a good thought. I've used a washer in the cup of the fuel pump arm for years. Does Birdhaven have a website? I see that Dennis Carpenter has a pushrod for my Merc for 15 bucks.

Thanks, Pete

Tracker    -- 07-03-2012 @ 2:35 PM
  Birdhaven does not have a website. The number is 1-866-302-3673. Macs, Kanter, Dennis Carpenter, Concours Parts, Flathead Jack all carry this part and it costs about the same.

The cup wears as much or more as the shaft. They were designed to wear out rather than grind the cam down.

Good luck with this.

Tracker

ken ct.    -- 08-16-2012 @ 9:16 AM
  Did you check weather the little ball under the pump was stuck in the hole.It has to float up and down.Did you oil the leather on the pump before you installed it. There are 2 diff length AP'sshort one 's are for the 49 and up Merc's 2.4" long and Ford ones are all 2.6" long. They cannot be mixed up .ken ct.

supereal    -- 08-16-2012 @ 2:54 PM
  Be sure the accelerator pump link is set on the longest stroke.

pnyce    -- 10-08-2012 @ 9:39 PM
  Hi All,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I tried all the suggestions you so kindly made and the stumbling/hesitation did not improve, so I said to myself "Let's get back to basics".

If I step on the accelerator quickly the engine stalls. The engine is running warmer than it should. On acceleration, I can feel the power come on at about 1500 to 2000 RPM. Hmmmm...let's check the timing.

At 500 RPM the distributor timing on a 255 flathead should be 1 1/4 to 2 1/4 degrees advanced. Mine was 4 degrees retarded. I set the timing to 2 degrees advanced and the hesitation went away. It was 6 degrees retarded and that was the problem!

Back in the day, we set the timing to just ping on regular gas, and then filled up with premium. Worked great! I still set my points with an old matchbook cover. Exactly 15 thousands!

Thanks again for all your help.

Happy Motoring,
Pete

Thanks, Pete

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=4858