Topic: Out of position generator, 50 Merc

rkthompson    -- 06-04-2012 @ 4:07 PM
  Hey guys, new 50 Merc owner here, but my second flathead. I bought this car with a few parts removed and in the trunk. The car seems original, unmolested, but who knows. First thing, I need help figuring out why my generator is setting too far forward.The generator belt is actually hitting on the back of the fan pulley. I see that the generator has 2 holes for the dowel, (alignment) pin, but my bracket is too thick on the front to allow me to position it in the front hole, which looks like that might be what I need to do. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ron.

TomO    -- 06-05-2012 @ 6:28 AM
  Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new car.

The generator pulley should line up with the water pump and crank pulleys. If yours does not, you may have an incorrect generator or mounting bracket.

If you can post a photo, we may be able to give you more assistance.

To post a photo, go to the image attachment box and click on the BROWSE or CHOOSE FILE box and then browse for the photo on your computer and upload it.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 6-5-12 @ 6:37 AM

rkthompson    -- 06-05-2012 @ 7:07 AM
  Thanks, and I will post pictures. I'm pretty sure I have 1 belt that goes to the rear groove on the crank pulley, drivers side water pump and generator. The front crank pulley groove lines up with the fan pulley and the passengers side water pump. Those all line up.

fsacht    -- 06-05-2012 @ 7:23 AM
  I believe the generator on that car is held within a collar that can be loosened to allow the generator to be slid within it fore or aft to provide belt alignment.

supereal    -- 06-05-2012 @ 11:16 AM
  If you have an engine that uses the narrow belts, it takes two for the job and a double groove crank pulley. The later type water pump pulleys are staggered, and do not line up. If you have a single wide belt, it requires the 8RT type pumps for a single belt that drives all. From your description, it sounds like you have a mishmash of parts.

rkthompson    -- 06-05-2012 @ 1:16 PM
  I have a double groove crank pulley and the water pumps are staggered. Everything looks perfect except the generator in too far forward, making the generator belt barely touch the back of the fan pulley. It's plain to see that the generator is the only thing out of place. Does anyone know for sure if there are different brackets that position the generators in different positions, front or back on flatheads? I've been around, and have owned old cars my entire life, and I do believe this is an original car. Yes the generator was off of the car when I bought it, along with the carb, votage regulator, and a few other parts. I bought it from an estate, so no previous owner to talk to.

supereal    -- 06-05-2012 @ 3:05 PM
  In that case, I'd say the generator you have is incorrect. Ford made scads of generator mounts and pulleys. Look at pages 477, 478, and 479 in the green book to see them. According to my records, the correct unit for your '50 Merc should bear the part number 5820 somewhere on the case. That is the number C&G uses for 49-53 Merc.

fsacht    -- 06-05-2012 @ 8:17 PM
  Is your generator held in a metal sleeve that is attached to the castiron bracket that attaches the generator to the front of the engine? Is that sleeve able to be loosened up? If so, loosen the sleeve and slide the generator back to align the belt. Tighten the sleeve when the belt is where you like it. 49 to 53 Mercury are all like that.

fsacht    -- 06-05-2012 @ 8:24 PM
  By the way, if one waterpump pulley is farther foreward than the other, someone put a '42-'48 waterpump from a 59A('42-'48) engine onto an 8BA('49-'53) engine. The pump pulley's should be along the same horizontal plane. See the photo posted on 6/5/2012.

rkthompson    -- 06-06-2012 @ 3:53 AM
  Pictures of the problem.

rkthompson    -- 06-06-2012 @ 4:01 AM
  All of the pictures didn't load. I'll need to figure that out and send later.I can't figure out how to load multiple pictures.

TomO    -- 06-06-2012 @ 8:33 AM
  You can only load 1 photo per post.

I can only find 1 case for the generator and 1P/N for the mounting bracket in the Ford Chassis parts book. I don't have a Mercury book for 49-53.

There is a generator on E-Bay and it shows just 1 hole for the alignment pin. There are also many brackets for sale, so you can compare the photos of the brackets to yours.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 6-6-12 @ 9:02 AM

rkthompson    -- 06-08-2012 @ 8:06 AM
  I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!I looked at 2 Mercury's on ebay that showed good engine views, and it was plain to see that my generator pulley was too long. Mine had about 1/2" space between the pulley fan and the pulley groove. The 2 on ebay had the pulley right against the pulley fan. I went to the local starter/generator rebuilder with pictures in hand, he had a pulley, switched it, and everything lines up perfect. I want to thank everyone for the help and advice.

TomO    -- 06-08-2012 @ 8:26 AM
  Good work. I'm glad that you found the problem. Now you need to show us a photo of your Mercury.

Tom

rkthompson    -- 06-08-2012 @ 9:13 AM
  Here's my car.

supereal    -- 06-09-2012 @ 10:36 AM
  Great car. It brought back memories of the '50 Merc club coupe I had over 50 years ago when I was a Ford mechanic. It is one of those cars that many of us now wish we had never parted with. The idiot that bought mine soon destroyed it in a rollover.

TomO    -- 06-09-2012 @ 2:13 PM
  Ron, you have a beauty there. Enjoy driving it this summer.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=4745