Topic: 39 Mercury Grill

39mercury    -- 04-09-2012 @ 1:20 PM
  I am in the process of refinishing and repairing my 39 Mercury Town Sedan. I am kind of stumped on the best way to remove the stainless trim from the Grill Sh*ll without damaging it in the process. I believe it was crimped when originally assembled. At a minimum I need to remove 3 or 4 pieces where the grill sh*ll has been hit and has a minor bend and a ding in the stainless I want to straightnen. Any experience or ideas on removing these from the forum members? Thanks. Steve Middleton.

TomO    -- 04-10-2012 @ 7:03 AM
  Steve, I have never removed them, so the only thing that I can suggest is that you straighten the crimps carefully along one edge.

If you can post a close up of the back of the grill, more suggestions may be given.

Tom

flathead48    -- 04-11-2012 @ 1:01 PM
  Steve, I have removed these and there is clips that fit into the stainless trim and press into holes in the grille. problem is they are usually rusted and are destroyed in trying to remove them. Hope this helps.Rick

fordmerc    -- 04-12-2012 @ 6:07 AM
  I removed all stainless pieces from the grill. All were slathered with PBlast to "soften" the rust. I then made a very thin tool (almost razor thin)with a"hook" to the blade which I could slide under the edge of the SS piece and "unclip" it from the steel grill bar. (I used a putty spreader that I narrowed after bending the hook on the end) The blade on my tool was approx 2 cm wide, and needs only 1-2 mm on the hook); it started at one end of the bar and gently pushed it medially to unclip the SS. I attached an image ( I think I just learned how to do the attachment)to give you an idea of the contour of the SS piece. Obviously care is needed but I was surprised at how easily the SS came off - it is really holding itself on by spring tension like "biting" the bar

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=4546