Topic: 1949-51 Trico washer pump

56MarkII    -- 01-30-2012 @ 9:36 AM
  I am wondering what the proper mounting bracket for the glass jar reservoir is supposed to look like? Is the illistration in the OEM Mercury parts manual accurate? A vendor dealing in Trico washer systems told me it should be the round band style like what is used on 1955-57 Mercury/Lincoln but my manual shows a square moulded band instead. Also what color is the decal on the bracket and lid? The Ford bracket decal of these years was blue and white. This vendor mentioned the lid decal should be the typical red Trico decal.

TomO    -- 02-01-2012 @ 8:06 AM
  I cannot give you a definitive answer, but if you are a member of the Early Ford V-8 Club, the 49-51 Adviser can.

The 1953 Mercury that I had, had the square bracket and the jar was also square to fit the bracket. The pump was vacuum operated and fit inside the jar. The round jar and bracket were later.

From my experience, Trico made the square bottle, so the owner would have to buy it from them. They always froze and broke, no matter how much alcohol you added to them. Freezing also damaged the submersible pump. I had to rebuild my pump every winter. Even when they changed to the round bottle, the cap would not fit a standard jar available at that time.

I would have more faith in the parts manual drawing than a vendor who has parts to sell.

The 49-51 Ford parts manual also shows a square bracket and bottle. It shows the foot pump style that was the more common option on the Ford. The vacuum pump style was more common on the Mercury.

I cannot remember the color of the decal. Again I would not rely on a vendor that does not have the parts that you asked for.

Tom

56MarkII    -- 02-03-2012 @ 7:55 AM
  Thanks for the reply!! I sent the vendor a scan of my OEM parts manual illustration of the washer. It lists the same unit for 1949-52 with an all brass pump and a round jar. The pump is a large brass cylinder fastened under the lid with a smaller brass cylinder or tube mounted on the end of the upper larger cylinder or tube, what ever you choose to call it and there is a small diameter pipe running from the bottom of the pump up to the lid with a small piece of hose connecting it to the pump. The jar is round and I have never seen a square jar. After receiving my scan he did more research and discovered the picture in the manual is correct. I lucked out and found a dealer with a NOS installation kit for a 51 Kaiser/Fraser with the exact pump reservoir unit as used on the Merc. The bracket is slightly different but has the square band on the bracket. Is there such a thing as an authenticity manual for the 49-51 Mercury for a stock restoration?

TomO    -- 02-03-2012 @ 8:49 AM
  Here is a photo of what I call the square jar. It was not exactly square as the corners were rounded. This one is for a gray motor car. Your bottle should look similar to this one.

http://vcca.org/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/95596/Re_Those_Heads_Again

I understand that the Club has a person working on the 49-51 Mercury Book. It will have information to help determine what is correct for your car according to present knowledge.

Currently the best solution for information on what is correct for your car is the V-8 Club Adviser for 49-51 Mercury. The Archives at the Henry Ford will also do research for you, but it is not free.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=4282