Topic: 40 Mercury upholstery, and window rubber

Mercury8    -- 12-24-2011 @ 10:19 AM
  Greetings 40 Mercury owners: Does anyone have a favorite supplier for the upholstery cloth? The seats used a bedford cord in a blue-gray. I have found some samples from reputable suppliers, but still looking. For the window rubber on the sedan coupe: The front doors have stainless window frames that close against a rubber that fits into a stainless retainer in the window opening. What is currently available is too hard; you cant even close the door if you try and use it. The stainless frame and retainer strip is the same as Continental coupe from 40 to 48. Anyone have any sources for the correct rubber?

Thanks, Alan

TomO    -- 12-26-2011 @ 6:29 AM
  For the door upper seal, Bob Drake's is what I used. For the quarter windows, Dennis Carpenter has a good seal. The profiles are different for the quarter window seal and the door seal. Metropolitan has the vent window seals.

I don't know of any supplier for the original upholstery fabric.

Tom

supereal    -- 12-26-2011 @ 8:51 AM
  The best supplier in the business of upholstery and related restoration items is LeBaron-Bonney. Their website is www.lebaronbonney.com While their interior kits are a main product, ask for their catalog, which shows a lot more items of interest to car guys. Finding exactly matching materials, such as Beford cord, can be difficult, as many fabrics were produced to manufacturer's specs during production, but the L-B offerings come as close as I've seen. As for the window frame seals, the best supplier is usually Dennis Carpenter. L-B shows kits for the 1939/41 Merc convertibles, and many of the window seals were used on the closed cars, as I recall.

TomO    -- 01-04-2012 @ 11:46 AM

I searched for 99A-7220530, which is the upper door seal P/N and it came up in C&G's catalog. The profile in their drawing is the correct profile.

The part that Dennis Carpenter is selling as P/N 99A-7020532 (completely bogus P/N) has the profile of P/N 99A-7229732 rear quarter frame seal. The bogus P/N is for a Tudor sedan, but there are no parts with that number in the body parts catalog.

Tom

snypro    -- 01-19-2012 @ 6:46 PM
  I just signed on to check for window rubber as well for my 40 conv. I have found most of them at Dennis Carpenter except for the vent window seals. Tom you mentioned Metropolitan, I am not familiar with them nor can I find them. Info please.
Thanks, Jere Snyder

TomO    -- 01-20-2012 @ 8:05 AM
  Jere,

The source is Metro Moulded Parts in Minneapolis. They have the vent window seals. P/M wr3319

http://www.metrommp.com/

The coupe seals are a little smaller than the originals and I suspect that the convertible will be also as both were reproduced using original pieces for the mould.

Tom

Mercury8    -- 01-21-2012 @ 5:50 PM
  HI Jere: Have you actually tried the rubber you got from Dennis Carpenter? The problem that I ran into with them is the rubber they sell for the coupe will not work for the front window openings. For the coupe, I found the right material from a Lincoln Continental supplier.
Just a thought, I recommend trying the material ahead of time. For the Ford convertibles, Bob Drake does have a sponge rubber in two different styles for the window openings in the top. You could take a look at this material on their website. Alan

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=4144