Topic: car wont start

deric47merc    -- 12-04-2009 @ 2:11 PM
  Hey All,
I need some help with my 47 Merc 4 dr Sedan. I bought it from my mother in law in non running condition. It has not been driven in about five years. When I got it home I found out the motor was frozen. Fun! I got it to break free by putting some fluids on the cylinders. I put a new battery, new plugs,new water pumps, condenser, fuel filter, radiator in hopes this would get it running. When I try and start it all I'm getting is the motor turning over but that's it. It does not actually fire up and start. I am getting some backfiring and sounds like it is trying to fire up but that's it. I wasa hoping some of you experts had some ideas that I can try??I have pulled the top off the plugs then hit the ignition and I am getting spark. Anybody have any ideas what it could be? Ihave drained oil and gas.this is my first time working on a flathead. Thanks
Deric

Stroker    -- 12-04-2009 @ 3:34 PM
  I think for starters, I'd pull all the spark plugs, and
remove the fuel line from the carb. Leaving the ignition
off, and having a fire extinguisher handy, I'd see if you
have fuel pulsing from the fuel pump. I'd guess, given
that you say it "coughs back" that you are not getting
enough fuel to the carb. Try that, and report back. The
New Forum has a lot of really great V8'ers that have been
there and "done that".

trjford8    -- 12-04-2009 @ 5:24 PM
  Since this car has not run for a long time I would put some oil in each cylinder to help the compression. Then check with a compression gauge. If you have a lack of compression in some cylinders there may be some valves that are hanging up.
The motor needs fuel and spark to start.You say you have spark, but it needs to be a strong spark. Spark should be a blue color. Next check for fuel delivery. Make sure gas is getting to the carb and when you pull the throttle you should see gas squirting into the manifold. You might try squirting some starting fluid down the throat of the carb. If the compression is up it should start with the starting fluid. If it starts, but doesn't continue to run you have a fuel delivery problem.If this car sat for 5 years there is probably varnish in the gas tank and the rest of the fuel system.

supereal    -- 12-05-2009 @ 11:15 AM
  Any vehicle that has sat for five years without running will require disassembly of the engine. Otherwise, the accumulation of foreign materials will result in often irreversible damage if you actually get it started. It is likely the entire lubrication system is plugged with sludge, starting with the oil pump screen. The cylinder walls are probably rusted, and the seals gone, as it is improbable that any action was taken to "mothball" the engine when it was stored. If the car is worth restoration, it is worth having the engine gone thru.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-06-2009 @ 1:12 PM
  I have unfrozen a few engines,
what I can tell you most of the time the rings on the pistons are rusted, and seized to the pistons,
the engine might run, but after time you might burn a piston or something else,
if there is a lot of blow by when you get it running,
this could be a problem, smoking etc,fouling plugs,etc,
FIRST THING,,,do a compession check to start things out,If you have a few low cylinders,squirt a little oil in the cylinders and recheck the compression,if it increases you probably have stuck rings, if it does not you probably have stuck valves or ones that will not seat fully,
did you hear the engine run in the past ?
were was it stored,? in a dry place ?
this has a lot to do with it,

get back to us,with more info, 37RAGTOPMAN

deric47merc    -- 12-08-2009 @ 3:07 PM
  Well, the car is still not firing up. i have not had a chance to check the compression. We are getting blue spark... i was told by someone that it might be a timing issue because i am getting back firing?? can anyone agree with that? i am taking the carb in to get rebuilt.. i think it is fowled out. when we pump gas i can barely see a little dribble getting thru the carb. it was my father in laws car so i did see it run in the past. it was stored under an outside carport in California.. i think what i am hearing is that i really need to see what my compression is... i will do the carb and check the compression and see where that leaves me.

deric47merc    -- 01-03-2010 @ 8:29 PM
  ok, we got the carb reuilt and the fuel system seems to be okay. We have lost the spark in the car.. i pulled the plugs and cleaned them becasue they were full of black soot. they were new when i put them in so does that sound like anything to anybody? i really need help with getting spark to the car. any suggestions??

TomO    -- 01-04-2010 @ 7:03 AM
  To check out the spark, check for voltage to the input of the coil. You should have at least 3.5 volts. If you have 6 volts, the points are open or you have an open circuit to the points. Tap the starter and the voltage should change if the point circuit is OK. If you have the lower voltage all of the time, your condenser or points may be shorted.

The black soot on the plugs is probably caused by unburned fuel. This could be due to a weak spark, low compression or excessive fuel.

We really need to know what the compression is on all cylinders in order to give you more diagnostic help. We would also like to know if you have a dwell meter, volt /ohm meter, and a vacuum gauge. These tools will help with the diagnosis.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=405