Topic: 40 Merc Motor Mfg Date

oldguy    -- 11-24-2011 @ 11:29 AM
  Hey Guys,
Well I am trying to ID the date of Mfg for the transplanted flathead in my 40 Merc. Found " RD2596* " stamped on the right side rear of the block,were the intake and the head meet. According to what I have read there is only "a letter(month) / a number(day of month) / a letter (year on mfg) ".
Any idea(s) as to what my number is indicating?
Thxs
Oldguy

TomO    -- 11-25-2011 @ 7:06 AM
  Because these blocks have been around for more than 60 years, many of them have been rebuilt more than once and each re-builder stamped his own code on the block to identify the block for warranty purposes. Your numbers look like one of these.

Tom

oldguy    -- 11-25-2011 @ 12:28 PM
  Thanks Tom,
I was hoping this was not the case.Still learning.
David

TomO    -- 11-28-2011 @ 7:30 AM
  David,

There is no definitive way to determine the manufacturing date of a Ford engine in the 32-48 years.

To determine if your engine is a correct 40 Mercury engine, look for 2 bulges on each side of the block where the oil pan mounts. These are where the core plugs are on the 39-40 engines. The surface where the intake mounts should be completely machined smooth and there should be a 99T stamp at the right (passenger side) front of the machined surface. The left front should have HS stamped on it. This stands for a sleeved block. Your heads should have a T cast into them near the front and a P/N of 81T-6049 / 81T-6050.

These stampings were on most 1940 blocks. They could have been machined off if the intake surface has been cleaned up more than once. Then the only way to determine if it is a Mercury block is to pull the heads.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 11-28-11 @ 7:32 AM

oldguy    -- 12-03-2011 @ 8:55 PM
  Tom
The motor appears to be a 49-51 Ford or Merc,cast bell housing. Sorry for not being more specific, when I said transplant.
David

supereal    -- 12-04-2011 @ 9:48 AM
  If the engine is a 49-51, it will have a separate clutch (bell) housing, either cast or pressed, bolted to the rear of the block. If the housing is cast with the block, it is earlier than those years.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=4019