Topic: 40 Merc master cylinder

oldguy    -- 11-24-2011 @ 10:56 AM
  Hey guys,
Looking to rebuild the master cylinder from the 40 MERC. The existing master has the number "1051" in the casting. All the reference pictures I look at refer to it as number "2140". Is this a MERC only number? I am using rebuild kit # 91A-2004-B, but see that the "existing" rubber dust boot is larger than the one in the rebuild kit and I would have to stretch the new boot quite a bit to have it fit over the existing cylinder connection. The other parts dimensions are the same as the existing ones. Is that larger boot a Merc only item? Has anyone a part # for this larger boot? I have supplied a ref picture.
Thxs
Oldguy

TomO    -- 11-25-2011 @ 7:02 AM
  The Mercury uses the same master cylinder as the Ford. The casting numbers are manufacturer dependent, that is each manufacturer has its own system for casting numbers.

You can take your old boot to good parts house and they should be able to find one to fit your master cylinder.

Tom

oldguy    -- 11-25-2011 @ 12:30 PM
  Thanks Tom,
Still learning.
David

supereal    -- 11-25-2011 @ 7:26 PM
  Master cylinders are still available, and usually a better bet than putting in a kit. Most brake cylinders, master and wheel, have extensive pitting in the bore. Sometimes they can be honed out, but unless you have the equipment, I'd opt for a new one, for the sake of safety.

TomO    -- 11-26-2011 @ 8:00 AM
  This last summer, we replaced the master cylinder in a 47 Ford with one made in China (Carquest brand). It seemed to bench bleed OK, but we could not bleed the system. We ordered another one from Carquest and it would not bench bleed at all.

I told the owner that I would not help him unless we could get a master cylinder made by Wagner or another major American manufacturer. Wagner does not make a new master cylinder for these cars, but does re-manufacture them.

We put one of the re-manufactured ones on and bled the system in 15 minutes, instead of the hours that we spent on the Carquest master cylinder.

Carquest refunded the full purchase price of the master cylinder and extended apologies for the poor quality of the product.

The P/N for the Wagner master cylinder is MC1050

Tom

supereal    -- 11-26-2011 @ 10:07 AM
  Bleeding the brake system on old Fords seems to be related to the design wherein the master cylinder is located below the wheel cylinders. They resist the "pump up and hold" procedure common to DIY replacement, and may take very large amounts of fluid before getting a reasonable "pedal". This is also true of using a "Mity-Vac" tool. When we use our brake bleeder machine, it does the job quickly. Apparantly, maintaining pressure in the reservoir of the master cylinder is the key. Defective new parts are a plague today. We send back lots of them. Some dealers now have a "lifetime warranty", but we still have to absorb the labor cost.

oldguy    -- 12-03-2011 @ 8:45 PM
  Thanks for the additional info
oldguy

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=4017