Topic: Ring Gear change

oldguy    -- 11-04-2011 @ 8:13 PM
  I am replacing the ring gear on the existing flywheel of this motor ( motor appears to be 48 to 53 Truck- 11" clutch), as it has 6 teeth missing.
Purchased part # B6384(112 tooth count).
Looking at the new ring gear and comparing it to the ring gear on the existing flywheel, I measured the old ring gear inside diameter (12-7/8") and compared it to the new ring gear inside diameter (12-1/2").
I thought the new ring, "with a little heat" for expansion, would press fit onto the old flywheel.
It looks like I will have to get some machining done to mate to new ring to the old flywheel.
Is this normal or do I have a bigger problem.
Thxs
Oldguy

supereal    -- 11-04-2011 @ 8:19 PM
  If you have the correct ring gear, it will install on the flywheel by heating it with a torch until it is almost red hot. Then, using appropriate tongs, the gear will drop into place, and be securly fastened as it cools and shrinks. Be sure you have the teeth facing the right direction, because you only get one chance to drop it in place. Unless you have an acetylene torch, take it to a shop to have it done. Other heat sources won't work.

TomO    -- 11-05-2011 @ 8:05 AM
  Oldguy, if you have the 48-53 truck flywheel, you need the 8ba-6384 ring gear.

Tom

oldguy    -- 11-05-2011 @ 10:11 AM
  Tom,
Were would I get the diamensions for the 8BA-6384 inside daimeter so I can compare diamensions.
I based my guess on the year of the motor from the bell housing and the oil pan, which has the cleanout on the bottom as shown in pictures at "flathead.org" site, scroll down to 49-53 Bellhousing compattable ID pic# 1&2 and 24 which say 48-52 truck.
Thxs
David

TomO    -- 11-07-2011 @ 9:24 AM
  I don't have the dimensions or know of any place that they would be. You could try calling C&G and asking them to measure a 8BA ring gear and then order it from them if it is the correct size.

What is the intended application? if you are going to mate this engine with a pre-49 transmission, you might be better off looking for an earlier flywheel and clutch.

Tom

oldguy    -- 11-07-2011 @ 12:50 PM
  Hi Tom,
What I am doing is replacing existing damaged parts.
It started with the throwout brg and has migrated to the damaged ring gear.
I bought the car one year ago, the owner before me had this Merc truck motor and replaced the original. He is no longer around, so I cannot ask him any questions as to what he did to the motor, as it gets up and goes.Thrown in a couple pics.
I did as you sugessted and called C&G/Mac's/Carpenter and had the dimension verified for the part #, you gave me " 8BA-6384" and all three said approx 12-7/8", which is what was installed on this motor.
Thanks again to all for your help
David

TomO    -- 11-08-2011 @ 6:51 AM
  Nice car. I always like the look of the Tudor.

Glad that you solved your problem.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-06-2011 @ 4:50 PM
  When heating the ring gear, stand 3 or 4 bricks on end.
this way the ring gear is off the floor,and you can get a pair of visegrips or waterpump wrench on it,
using the torch circle the ring gear with the flame,
making sure the it gets hot evenly,otherwise it will warp,
you can try it, it should drop completey down on the shoulder of the flywheel,[ make sure you clean the place where the ring gear will set,
also make sure you use a BLUNT punch and go around the ringgear making sure it is completey seated,
and let it cool down by itself, do not pour water on it to cool,it could take the hardness out of the steel,
hope this helps, 37RAGTOPMAN

CharlieStephens    -- 12-07-2011 @ 8:59 AM
  Also wait until your wife is out of the house and put the flywheel in the freezer to make it smaller.

Charlie Stephens

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=3934