Topic: 39 Mercury Sedan Grill removal

39mercury    -- 10-16-2011 @ 6:45 PM
  I am removing the grill and front fenders of my 39 Meuprc sedan for new fender welt and some repair. Any information or literature on the body, like exploded views available? Thanks
Steve

TomO    -- 10-17-2011 @ 6:06 AM
  Steve,

I don't have a copy of the 41 chassis parts catalog reprint, but I believe that there is a breakdown of the grill in it. There is also a breakdown in the 39-48 Mercury chassis parts catalog. I have never seen a breakdown of the front fenders for a 39 or 40 Mercury. Both of these seem to be readily available.

Unless you can find an original Body Parts Catalog for the 39 Ford and Mercury, I don't know of any source for the rest of the body illustrations. The reprint left out most of the illustrations.

Before you start to disassemble the grill and fenders, take lots of photos to show how the parts fit together and identify the view by writing on the back of the print, along side of the print in a scr*p book, or as a caption for the print in your photo editing program.

As you start taking the parts off, continue to take photos to show details that were not in camera view when you started.

When you install the welting, Cut the notches for the bolts and then staple another strip of welting to the edge that will be under the fender, I like to have one on either side of a bolt. You use the stapled piece to pull the welting into alignment before tightening the bolts. After the fenders have been tightened, you can cut off the stapled pieces.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 10-17-11 @ 6:20 AM

fordmerc    -- 10-23-2011 @ 5:36 PM
  I am an amateur who totally disassembled a '39 Town Sedan (every last bolt and nut has been out) and I have also reassembled it. What I know, I am willing to share. Perhaps a PM would be most efficient, since the information you request requires a lot of words to describe.

supereal    -- 10-24-2011 @ 5:08 PM
  If it is your aim to simply replace the welting, it is better to loosen the fenders, rather than to disassemble the entire front clip of fenders, hood, and grille. Following TomO's direction, loosen the fenders enough to remove the old welt and, using it as a pattern, cut the bolt notches in the replacement material. The front clip on most old cars has changed shape over the years, making reassembly tricky, to say the least, and almost always requiring more than one person.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=3853