Topic: question

46fordnut    -- 08-13-2011 @ 8:07 PM
  i was at my local car show today and someone there had 3 old car clocks printed on the back of one is aug 1948. from what i can figure out they seem to be from the mercury line of 1948 to 1949. would these also fit 1947? i know 1950 have a different clock. and ford line seem to use a much larger one same for the lincoln..

100 horse running wild

supereal    -- 08-14-2011 @ 10:38 AM
  I'm not sure about fitting, but the face must match the speedometer. The Ford clocks from the '42, '46, and '47-48 would probably fit, but only the 47-48 have the same faces. None of these would match the Mercury faces. The Club's fine 1941-48 book shows each of these. For anyone with a car of those years, this book is a "must". I'm not sure that all the original clocks were stamped with a date on the back, but the NOS clocks I have had did. Swap meet clocks tend to all be junk. If the face is poor, you can bet the works are, too.

46fordnut    -- 08-14-2011 @ 11:47 AM
  these clock are all in very clean shape. but are half the size of my ford clock. he said his day worked in the ford factory here in new jersey. they even have the crome bezel around them . the only numbers written on the clock is 12 3 6 and 9. on the back is what looks like a small key. it seem to make the clock run slower or faster

100 horse running wild

This message was edited by 46fordnut on 8-14-11 @ 11:48 AM

supereal    -- 08-14-2011 @ 2:16 PM
  The Ford and Mercury clocks were made be several vendors, such as Westclox, etc. This accounts for the difference in size of the cover on the back. Most of them that I have seen and repaired have a knob or shaft with a slot to regulate them. If I were looking to replace a clock, I'd look into replacing the works with a quartz movement. There are places that do that. One of the main benefits is that they will not run your battery down if the car is seldom used.

46fordnut    -- 08-14-2011 @ 3:57 PM
  clocks are in very good condition . written on the old paper tag is (gord). i agree that with the quarts idea im still working with my no fuel its been raining here for 3 days and it still will for most of this week.

100 horse running wild

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=3584