Topic: Splash Guard-Chrome Trim Installation 51 Merc

Tracker    -- 05-26-2011 @ 3:18 PM
  After a nearly 3 yr search, I finally located a set of front fender splash / bottom chrome strip to finish the resto on my 51 Merc Convertible. It has a template to line up the pieces and drill the holes but zero instructions of how the mounting clips attach to the body. We can't tell which end of the clip goes up in the chrome strip strip along the bottom or if it bends in or out away from the body.

I have no experience ...can any one help me on this ?

Thanks

Tracker

TomO    -- 05-31-2011 @ 8:23 AM
  Sorry, Tracker, I cannot help you with this. Have you tried to contact the Club's 49-51 Mercury Advisor, Ron Westwood?

Tom

Tracker    -- 05-31-2011 @ 11:43 AM
  Thanks Tom

I'm stumped on this one.

Tracker

trjford8    -- 05-31-2011 @ 7:06 PM
  Tracker, can you post a picture of the mounting clip? It might help with how it should mount.

Ron Westwood    -- 06-04-2011 @ 7:27 PM
  Tracker-

As I recall, the clip installs so that the rocker moulding hooks at the top of the clip and snaps on at the bottom. If you'll email me at ron@mrmerc.com, I'll send you a scan of the original install sheet I got from the Henry Ford archives. I won't be able to send it right away, as I won't have access for awhile. Hope this helps.

Tracker    -- 06-07-2011 @ 7:56 PM
  Thanks to every one who responded to this request for help. My computer crashed and I am just coming back on line.

I will respond direct to Mrmerc who offered a drawing. That should solve the problem of the clips.

Again Thanks.

regards

Tracker

Tracker    -- 06-23-2011 @ 9:36 PM
  Ron...I sent you an e-mail awhile back re;the chrome strip installation for my 51 Merc Convertible. I have not heard from you on the drawings and was wondering if you have access yet.

Thanks & regards

Tracker

Ron Westwood    -- 07-16-2011 @ 5:54 PM
  Tracker-

I just returned from my place in Idaho and have the drawings wiith me. I'll send you a scan next week.

Tracker    -- 07-18-2011 @ 9:23 PM
  Thanks Ron. I look forward to getting the info....probably my last project I will do this summer..too hot to breathe in Texas.

Ron Westwood    -- 07-19-2011 @ 2:44 PM
  Just sent the scan to your email. It's 6mb, so let me know if it doesn't come through.

Tracker    -- 07-22-2011 @ 7:28 AM
  Ron

Thanks again. We got the entire file and found out how
the clips work with the trim. After experimenting around, we found a better way to attach the rocker panel using the same clips which are strange to say the least since they have only one mounting hole and s tounge that calls for bending into place.

Have a great stay in Idaho....Driggs, ID ...Bobs Buffalo Burgers ...worth the trip.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=3140