Topic: finding vin number

murphy13    -- 04-29-2011 @ 11:32 AM
  I have a 1941 mercury that I have looked every where i know to look for the vin on the car.I was trying to find out some info on the car. I know it has a v-8 flat head is a two door and alittle about thye cars history I have the title and it has the vin number on it 99a348743 weight 3300 1941 mercury.I tried to use this number to do a look up but i keep getting no where. It said that the vin has more numbers or vin not found. is this the vin or something else I would be greatful for any help thanks Ron

supereal    -- 04-29-2011 @ 11:53 AM
  Ron: The "VIN" numbers came in much later. The number you found is actually a production serial number with a prefix that establishes it as a Mercury. The rest of the numbers indicate the sequence of production. Some members can give you an approximate time of production from the serial. The sequence number was supposed to be stamped on the frame in three places. Only the front one is possible to see without removing the body. Look for the number between the firewall and the radiator on the driver's side frame rail. It was supposed to be identical to the number stamped on the transmission, but it is extremely unusual to find an original transmission after decades, due to replacements. Tracing the history of our old cars is almost impossible, and later laws regarding privacy have prevented searches.

TomO    -- 05-02-2011 @ 6:51 AM
  Ron,

Welcome to the Forum and I hope that we will be able to help you with any questions that you have about your 41 Mercury.

The 41 Mercury serial numbers are in the range of
99A-257,101 to 99A-445,700 for a total production of 188,599. Your Mercury was the 91,642 produced or about halfway into the production run. As Supereal stated in his reply, that is about all of the information the serial number will give you.

The 1941 Mercury shared the body sh*ll and many mechanical parts with the 1941 Ford. The parts that are not shared are difficult to find as they were unique to the 41 Mercury.

I hope that you have a complete car and are able to enjoy driving it.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=2980