Topic: Transmission oil

Marilyn    -- 12-15-2010 @ 11:20 AM
  I relaced the transmission oil on my 49 Merc.( manual trans with overdrive)with 80w-90 gear oil and the rear seal leaks now.
Can anyone tell me why it is leaking and what is the correct oil for this transmission and how can I stop the leak? Thanks,
Marilyn

supereal    -- 12-15-2010 @ 2:02 PM
  I'm assuming the leak is at the rear of the transmission, called the "extension housing" where the driveshaft yoke is inserted. There is a seal which bears on the yoke. This seal often leaks as it ages. To replace the seal, the driveshaft must be removed and the old seal removed with a puller, then a new seal is driven into place using the correct tool. Carefully examine the yoke for signs of wear. If any are found, the yoke must be replaced, or a leak will return. You may have overfilled the transmission when you changed the oil, or the old oil was low enough or thick enough to slow or avoid the leak. Any good brand of 80-90 oil is correct, as long as it isn't a synthetic, which will often leak past the old style seals. The seals are not hard to find at places such as NAPA.

This message was edited by supereal on 12-16-10 @ 12:52 PM

Marilyn    -- 12-22-2010 @ 4:01 PM
  Thanks for the reply.The leak is where the shaft enters the transmission. The strange thing is that it did not leak before I changed the oil and I did use 80/90w gear oil.
I will repolace the seal and try again.

supereal    -- 12-23-2010 @ 8:33 AM
  Having a leak appear after installing fresh oil is not unusual. Old oil often contains solid matter which has accumulated over time, and often acts as a sort of "stop leak". New oil contains additives to improve flow and lubricity, and the hardened seals just can't contain it. Seal technology has vastly improved over the years. The old leather, ropes, and slingers are primitive by comparison. Oil leaks were common in the early days, and a lack of them usually signaled that refilling was due, thus the old saying "if it ain't leakin', it needs fixin'".

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=2309