Topic: Flathead Engine Over Heating

guardhawk74    -- 10-25-2010 @ 7:40 PM
  I drove my 49 merc on Saturday for the first time since restoration. It has the original 110 hp flathead engine. It started overheating within five miles of driving it. It got so hot it actually turned the green paint black near the carb. I checked the thermostats and they both open at 175 degrees. The water pumps were rebuilt. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TomO    -- 10-28-2010 @ 8:49 AM
  Your problem sounds like poor coolant circulation. Check the radiator and the water pumps. The water pumps should turn easily by hand. The radiator should cool the water by at least 20 degrees at 180 degrees.

Try removing the thermostats. You do not need them in summer weather and they may be impeding water flow.

Tom

Stroker    -- 10-28-2010 @ 9:14 AM
  The burning of the paint near the base of the carb is a normal consequence of exhaust gases passing through the heat riser ports.

supereal    -- 10-28-2010 @ 9:51 AM
  Are you sure the thermostats are facing the right direction? The elements should be placed on the input (engine) side of the hoses and secured in place so they can't turn or float and obstruct the flow.

Dale Fairfax    -- 11-01-2010 @ 7:09 PM
  Have you verified your ignition timing? Late spark will cause overheating.

supereal    -- 11-02-2010 @ 10:28 AM
  An often overlooked cause of overheating is the brakes gradually being applied because of inadequate pedal freeplay or faulty master cylinder. This prevents the return of the fluid to the reservoir when the brakes are released, and allows the system to be pumped up each time the brakes are applied. This effect is multiplied if there are any wheel cylinders that have corroded enough to prevent the springs from retracting the shoes. This should be investigated if the overheating happens after the car has been OK for quite a while, then heats. After the vehicle is parked, the system bleeds back, until the next time it is used.

guardhawk74    -- 11-16-2010 @ 7:19 PM
  Well my overheating problem turned out to be a combination of thermostats and timing. I had 180 but changed to 160 but the main problem was the timing. Once it was corrected the engine stays at about 180 and the gauge stays center mass. Thanks to all for you help and suggestions.

TomO    -- 11-16-2010 @ 9:27 PM
  Glad that you found the problem and appreciate the update.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=2073