Topic: 1948 Merc Interior(?) Part ID Help Request

BBoardman    -- 10-09-2010 @ 2:22 PM
  I am working on a 48 Merc coupe and trying to ID a part that I bleieve is for somewhere in the interior. As the attached picture shows it is about 19" x 1/2 inch and pressed steel. Any help will be appreciated.

fsacht    -- 10-10-2010 @ 1:02 PM
  Those look like windshield wiper arms.

trjford8    -- 10-10-2010 @ 7:53 PM
  Those look like the arms that go from the wiper motor and hook to the wiper towers under the dash.

TomO    -- 10-11-2010 @ 7:13 AM
  They look more like the cowl vent braces to me, but they are too long for this application.

Could they be braces from the cowl to the dash board? Or braces to support the package tray?

Tom

BBoardman    -- 10-11-2010 @ 11:19 AM
  I'll take a look at all the suggestions. I have the wipers in at this time but not working yet due to a missing mounting piece that attaches to the drive arm and the wiper arm attaches to it. I have a part wanted ad with picture to show what I'm looking for.

fsacht    -- 10-11-2010 @ 4:07 PM
  They are definitely not the arms from vacuum motor to wiper arm posts. They do look like those arms, or links if you prefer from later models. My next guess is links that connect door handles to latches within the door. I recently had my RH Front Door trim panel off to try to eliminate a rattle. I put foam padbetween thoat arm and the door inner panel.

Daisy    -- 01-07-2011 @ 1:38 PM
  Did you ever find out what they are? If not how about anti chatter rods?

supereal    -- 01-07-2011 @ 2:51 PM
  Don't waste time on "anti-chatter" rods. Ford tried and abandoned them years ago. Most clutch chatter is due to soggy or loose motor mounts, front and rear. Also check the rear spring clip that holds it to the crossmember, as well as the spring shackles, to see if they are worn, loose, or sloppy. Of course, the condition of the clutch disk and pressure plate is important. Since the use of non-asbestos facings, chatter seems to have gotten worse, even with newer and well adjusted clutches. The usual cure is to be sure that the engine idle speed is correct, and to develop the habit of rapid engagement of the clutch. On level ground, using second gear to start will also reduce the shudder.

Stroker    -- 01-07-2011 @ 5:02 PM
  These are NOT anti-chatter rods. But Super makes a good point. Most of us gave up on them 60 years ago. Many never survived the first engine replacement. I went to some lengths a number of years ago to restore the rods and attachment fittings on my 38, simply because that was "As Henry Made It". beyond that, they have no functional value.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=1981