Topic: Houdaille shock absorbers

Peder D    -- 09-27-2010 @ 2:32 AM
  While taking apart things in conjunction with the clutch and flywheel removal, it has been brought to my attention that at least the rear shock absorbers do not function properly...checked the fluids, no leaks moves in "stages" and very hard. Who in the U.S. does good work on these? Thanks.Peder

supereal    -- 09-27-2010 @ 10:51 AM
  Peder: Apple Hydraulics rebuilds lever shocks, and there are others. Their number is 800/882-7753, or AppleHydraulics.com I've never had much affection for the old lever shocks, and prefer the modern tubular variety.

Peder D    -- 09-28-2010 @ 12:58 AM
  It would be relatively expensive to send these overseas and back again...next question is who supplies the tubular conversion, both for front and rear? Easy to mount, any idea what these cost? thanks Peder

supereal    -- 09-28-2010 @ 10:40 AM
  Most front tube shock kits start at about $150 US, with the rears about the same, as shown in the Chassis Engineering catalog. www.chassisengineeringinc.com The rebuild cost for each lever type shock in is the range of $75 US, so the cost is comparable. Unless you are a purist, and want to maintain the original appearance, the conversion makes sense in terms of cost and performance.

shogun1940    -- 02-07-2011 @ 6:45 PM
  there was an article in last years [street rodder] about houdaille shocks on how to rebuild them , maybe you can find it online, try changing the oil before giving up.

supereal    -- 02-08-2011 @ 10:40 AM
  In the majority of cases, it takes special tools to disassemble the lever shocks, as the threads are almost always firmly stuck. Sometimes the shocks have to be baked to loosen them, then clamped in a special fixture. It is a job best left to the pros.

Mercury8    -- 12-22-2011 @ 10:03 AM
  The best shock rebuilder in the US is Five Points Classic Auto Shocks in Santa Ana, CA. Ph 714-979-0451. I took my shocks there in person, and got a tour of their facility. They have specialty tools for all old shocks. They even have seals and other parts made especially for them for our shocks. One seal in particular is tapered, and no one else has the right one. Shocks work great, dont leak, and they are guaranteed. Nice people to deal with.

alanwoodieman    -- 12-22-2011 @ 8:13 PM
  you can try to freshen these shocks up. remove the plug and drain out what may be left of the original fluid, record the setting on the adjuster for future reference, move the adjuster one way or the other to allow the shock to move the easiest, refill with hydraulic jack fluid (warm it up if possible), it is hard to fill but take your time, move the arms back and forth and you will loosen up old fluid, drain them again and add clean fluid, work to remove trapped air by moving arms. check for full, then adjust back to riginal setting-may have to re-adjust to get your desired stiffness. I have done this several times and have had good luck. try it

ford38v8    -- 12-22-2011 @ 11:09 PM
  There were three different original fluids:
Glycerin; Mineral oil; Castor oil. I've heard that refilling with the wrong fluid may produce cottage cheese. Apparently, given Alanwoodie's success, hydraulic jack fluid is compatible.

With regard to the filling, there must be an air pocket at the top, to prevent blowing a seal from the considerable heat produced. The correct air space is provided if positioned on it's side to drain the excess before installing the plug.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=1923