Topic: 1939 Mercury convertible. Common parts with sedan

vmg    -- 06-20-2024 @ 7:18 PM
  Hi guys.

I have a 1939 Mercury with a reasonable body but otherwise completely "run down", it needs EVERYTHING done. I decided my best bet was to buy a reasonable sedan to use for parts, and I found a very good one which I am about to get.

Basic question is: How much of the sedan parts can be used for the convertible?

Of course I suppose bumpers, grill, lights, taillights and many none specific trim items, same as interior components like instruments, handles, steering wheel, all dash items and all the car's mechanical components... but some specific questions come to mind:

Chassis. Is chassis identical (or were convertible chassis reinfored?). I am guessing the mechanical components are all the same.

Dashboard, is it the same between a sedan and convertible? I mean the dash structure itself... trim and instruments I am sure are the same.

Body. Are hood, front and rear fenders the same?

I am attaching a few pics... you will see a good body, not damaged and with no rust.... but as mentioned, it needs a lot of parts and everything done to it... and I intend to do it. I just love these Mercs!

Any input, greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Victor

This message was edited by vmg on 6-20-24 @ 7:20 PM

vmg    -- 06-20-2024 @ 7:21 PM
  Pics...

Rockfla    -- 06-21-2024 @ 6:38 AM
  I also responded to your FordBarn post. Welcome to the 39 Mercury side!!! ALSO welcome to one of the smallest worlds of parts and expertise you'll experience (IF originality is your goal)......NOT many 39 Mercury experts around. We have two 39's and a 40, an "Early" 39 - 4 Door Town Sedan and a 39 - Sedan Coupe and 40 Convertible Sedan, ALL not easy finding parts for!!!! Pretty much all that you asked about will cross over from the Sedan to your convertible...A few of the parts/pieces will be Convertible/Coupe ONLY as they cut the tops off of coupes to make the Convertibles. Nice car, I think the 39 is THE most beautiful of the Mercury's AND of just about ALL of the fat fender era Ford Products!!! I will help IF I can, email is salesjbnase@comcast.net. I have a good grill and "maybe" what you need for the hood ornament/hood latch for yours if you need?

Robert Davis Aka Rockfla

TomO    -- 07-12-2024 @ 12:18 PM
  That looks like a very nice original sedan that you are parting out. If it is an original, unrestored car, I feel that you could have found another sedan with good parts and save the original car. Wyoming, Colorado and Montana have been good sources of parts for the 1939 and 1940 Mercury parts and parts cars in the past.

Just about everything except seats, set tracks, door glass and regulators will exchange. If you can find an original Body Parts Catalog for the 1939 Ford and Mercury, it will be helpful in your restoration. There is a reprint available, but the copy that I have has micro printing. To determine interchangeability, look at the P/N, part of the number indicates the body style of the car it was made for. Your body style is 76, so if that is in the beginning of the P?N, there is probably no exchange.

I haven't been on the Forums very often in the past couple of years due to health issues and I probably won't be on much in the near future due to those problems. You can PM me to look at a post if you have questions and I will do my best to help you.

Tom

TomO    -- 07-15-2024 @ 8:16 AM
  Be very careful with the windshield seal as they are no longer available. Dennis Carpenter made some and the stopped making them. Nobody else is making them.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=17100