Topic: interior colours and codes

aussie merc    -- 05-15-2023 @ 5:22 PM
  would anyone have a paint name and code for a 39 sedan dash when scanned comes up as windsor brown but had it mixed and wasnt even close [possible error on paint suppier's part ] information like this is near impossible to find here in aus as mercurys are hard to come by here have seen several photos of various cars both here and in u.s. and it appears to be a common colour Thanks AM

TomO    -- 05-18-2023 @ 8:13 PM
  The paint scanners just come up with a color of a modern automotive paint that is close to the color scanned.

The answer that I found in the 1994 March April V-8 Times is "close to zephyr beige with small quantity of silver metallic". I have some old paint chip books and I will try to find one with the 39 Mercury colors from Acme. They have the interior color names and a formula number. It may take me a few days as I have limited free time these days.

Be aware that if I do find it, you may not be able to have it mixed. There are few cross references to modern tints for Acme tints and interior colors were not produced by all of the repaint suppliers. Your best bet is to have the color matched by a body shop that mixes their own paints.

I had the inside of the glove box door scanned for my 40 Merc. I had to spray out 15 tries to get close to the color on the dash. Each time I would take the spray out and my sample to the store and they would run it through their color matching program to see what tints would be needed to match it. I finally gave up and took it to a body shop that mixed their own paints and we started over with a color that looked similar and mixed a half pint. I ended up with a quart of paint and paid for 2 hours of labor + the paint.

Tom

TomO    -- 05-25-2023 @ 8:59 AM
  My paint chips did not have a color for the 1939 dash.

Tom

aussie merc    -- 05-27-2023 @ 2:51 AM
  thanks for trying

bobb    -- 10-28-2023 @ 5:30 AM
  I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm in the right area. I recently purchased a 47 merc sedan coupe. I call the paint color burgundy
red. The car was restored back in the 80's and was painted with lacquer over stock enamel paint. This caused what is called solvent blister all over the car. Do any of you painters out there believe sanding car smooth, sealing with DP40/90 and then shooting base coat and clear would work to correct problem? I have a shop where I work on 1903 to 1980 Vehicles but do no painting or upholstery. Thanks, Bob

TomO    -- 10-30-2023 @ 5:21 PM
  Welcome to the Forum. When you are asking questions about a different problem, please start a new Discussion.

IMHO, I believe that you would still have the solvent blister show up again. It may not happen right away but over a long period you would be chasing the problem all over the car.

Tom

flathead48    -- 11-13-2023 @ 3:43 AM
  I did this 39 deluxe on a local car & it match the original wood grain under the windshield moldings. I used light brown walnut from grain it in Florida

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=16416