Topic: 1946 Mercury 4-dr. sedan

Peder D    -- 06-24-2010 @ 1:30 PM
  Clutch chatter has been a topic here previously. I have spent the Winter of 09-10 overhauling engine and tranny, also replaced complete clutch. Engine and trans works fine, but I still have clutch chatter...did I buy a poorly manufactured clutch? What have I overlooked? Thanks, Peder

TomO    -- 06-25-2010 @ 8:39 AM
  You may have a small amount of clutch chatter until you get the clutch release and engine speed coordinated.

Motor mounts, rear trans mount, engine speed are all factors in clutch chatter.

Tom

Johns46coupe    -- 06-26-2010 @ 10:47 AM
  Supereal responded to a question on clutch chatter on May 16, 2010. I found it helpful and pasted his reply in here. Hope that's ok super.?.?

The reason you can't find anti-chatter rods in the book i that Ford discontinued them when it was found that they didn't help much, if at all. The chatter is due, mostly, to the configuration of the drive line. The rear axle pushes on the torque tube which, in turn, moves the engine/transmission on the mounts. This also affects the clutch linkage, amplifying the problem. When, in 1949, Ford went to the Hotchkiss system, the chatter that plagued Ford for decades went away. I am attaching info on a brace that has been used to reduce the problem by transferring the "push" to a cross member.

Attached FileTransmission brace diagram.jpg (306 Kbytes)

John

supereal    -- 06-26-2010 @ 11:34 AM
  No problem, John. It should be mentioned that completely removing clutch chatter is very rare. The brace helps to keep the drive line from moving forward as power is applied, which is magnified by the clutch linkage. In cases where the chatter is severe, it sometimes helps to put the rear axle on good jackstands, then slightly loosen the bolts that hold the transmission to the engine and while running the engine at a fast idle, engage and release the clutch. Then, retighten the bolts. If there is any mismatch between the clutch disk and the flywheel, this will often correct it. Sometimes the connection between the transmission face and the engine is not parallel, and must be shimmed slightly. Most of us just live with some chatter, and adjust the engine idle and our left leg to ease the clutch from a standstill.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-27-2010 @ 8:36 AM
  I would drive the car and put some miles on it,sometimes the clutch disc face need to be smoothed down,and it has to do with getting used to the pedals and the way you work them,
I heard years ago that to reduce the chatter you placed the bumber against a stout tree and released the clutch, slipping a little, this wore the clutch disc just a little,and made contact better.and was flat and even,
I would do this as a last resort,
I had clutches freeze up from sitting and had to get the car on the road, and push the cluch done in 2nd gear and give it full throttle to break the clutch free,up and down on the throttle with the clutch depressed, do this with no traffic or on a side street,
HOPE this helps, and good luck,
37RAGTOPMAN KEEP ON TRUCKIN,,,!!!!!!

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 6-27-10 @ 9:36 AM

Peder D    -- 06-27-2010 @ 12:07 PM
  Thanks to everybody for your replies....the attachment from Johns46coupe did not come through here....is it possible to send that directly to my e-mail: peddan@ebnett.no
Thank you! Peder

Johns46coupe    -- 06-27-2010 @ 1:02 PM
  Sorry about the attachment Peder. Use the search function on this sight and search on Supereal. It will show all of his posts. The one I forwarded was dated May 16, 2010. I would send it again but would probably end up the same. This way you can get it from the source.

John

supereal    -- 06-28-2010 @ 11:39 AM
  Peder: If you don't find it in the archives, I'll look it up and send it. Today, I am at the shop and don't have access for that page on this system.

supereal    -- 07-02-2010 @ 10:16 AM
  Thanks, John. I did send it directly to Peder, including a couple of pix of the brace as it was installed.

Peder D    -- 09-23-2010 @ 3:44 AM
  Thanks for this good info. New clutch-non adjustable-foreign made? removed since chatter was severe. Same with the old clutch. We believe the 3 arms on the clutch disc are not aligned, thus touching the flywheel one at a time.Also the flywheel looks like it is stained with blue marks-overheated? which would contribute to chatter?We are looking to rebuild my old clutch which is adjustable and take the flywheel out and re-surface it? Your advice 6/26/10 loosening bolts trans to engine will be done. Appreciate your comments here...thanks Peder

supereal    -- 09-23-2010 @ 10:11 AM
  There will always be some clutch chatter, as it has been with us since the very early days. It was made worse when asbestos was removed from the facing material for health concerns. Like brake linings, the effectiveness was compromised somewhat. I start in second gear where possible, and that reduces the chatter to a minimum. And, yes, the "shade tree" fix for a bad clutch was often to put the front bumper against a tree and burn the clutch a bit. This was often because the rear main seal leaked badly and coated the clutch disk. While it did work for a while, it glazed the disk, making replacement a sure thing.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=1453