Topic: 40 Mercury Body Sealer

40merccoupe    -- 05-18-2010 @ 6:56 PM
  On a coupe body where the top meets the body, there is a thick black sealant used on the inside. Has anyone put new sealant in? What kind did you use and would you install the body moulding around the back of the top first and then seal this area on the inside to keep water from entering around the moulding spring clips?
Thanks for any help.
Bob

trjford8    -- 05-18-2010 @ 7:44 PM
  For sealing body seams I would use 3M Heavy Duty Drip Check sealer. Once it dries it is paintable.

TomO    -- 05-19-2010 @ 9:27 AM
  You need to install the stainless molding before you put any sealer in this area. The clips for the trim will not seat all of the way unless this area is completely clean.

I used the 3M rope caulk to seal around all of the trim clips. Ford did not use any sealer in these area.

Tom

40merccoupe    -- 05-20-2010 @ 5:46 PM
  Thanks for your suggestions for the sealer to use. I'll give it a try and see how it works.
Bob

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-13-2010 @ 7:24 AM
  NAPA and body shop supply stores sells the 3M SEAM SEALER, you use a caulking gun to install and once dry you can paint, it is flexible and works real well.
this is what alot of body shops use and is also used for floors,for modern cars when replacing floor panels,
quarters, etc,this is a very nice and is like glue,and easy to work with,, just read the directions,
KEEP ON TRUCKIN,,,37RAGTOPMAN

TomO    -- 06-13-2010 @ 10:23 AM
  The #M sealer in a caulk tube will dry hard and should not be used around the interior of the molding clips.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-13-2010 @ 5:33 PM
  TomO
I used a seam sealer from NAPA, and was made by 3M and seemed to be like the factory seam sealer that you could remove with a putty knife is needed,
I used a caulking gun and smoothed it over with a putty knife and a stiff paint brush,
I installed 2 complete floor pans in a VW CONVERTIBLE,
mabe 3 M makes a few different types,???
but 40 merc coupe, go to the body shop supply and they will fill you in in what to use, just tell them what you want to do, 37RAGTOPMAN KEEP ON TRUCKIN,!!!!!!!

TomO    -- 06-14-2010 @ 10:14 AM
  The sealer that you used was fine for the VW floor pan and other places where there is a flat seam. The area that the original poster was asking about is a trough on the inside of the area where the roof meets the body. There is a stainless molding on the outside of the car and the clips fit into the trough. If you fill the trough with a sealer that hardens, the clips work back and forth as the car body flexes. The hard sealer will not seal anything after a while and the clips will work back out affecting the fit of the stainless molding. I know this from past experience.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=1269